Big Screen TV`s

by OUTLAW 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

I have a panasonic plasma 37" screen tv.

I am very happy with its performance and clarity.

What out for the additional costs for cables, power surges, installation and set up through cable.

You'll need a special cable box for the HD feature to work.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The best Plasma I`ve seen,is the Panasonic 42" HDTV..The picture was beautifull...OUTLAW

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

I dont know if the situation is the same in the US, but here Plasmas are rapidly becoming old technology as LCDs can match them for size and picture and are SO much lighter (which can be important if you are wall mounting) and proving to be more reliable.

Something that makes a statement to me is the extended warranty for a plasma tv is more than twice as much for an equivalent size LCD.

I've always found the Philips have awesome pictures, but just cannot hit the reliability button!

The thing that puts me off rear projection is the pure size of them! But maybe that's the Brit in me

One thing I know for sure, any model you see now will be significantly cheaper in 6 months time, things are moving so rapidly.

Poppy

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Recently I bought a 32 inch Akai (a gift for my mom) and a 37 inch Polaroid (for my dad and I to share), both panel LCD HDTVs suitable for wall mounting. My preference is LCD for simplicity, longevity, and reliablity. Costs have really decreased due to competition and increased volume, so prices will also continue to decrease -- for a while. But why wait much longer when a decent 32 inch LCD can be had for under US$1000?

• astroboy
    astroboy

the new LCD and DLP rear projectors are great...but what about after 3/4 years (depending on viewing habits), the light bulbs in those units go out and must be replaced at 300 to 400 dollars a pop!

thats a minor piece of info that most salespersons i spoke with wont mention...you have to inquirer about that...

even tho the plasma may be initially more expensive, after 1 or 2 bulb changes on that LCD/DLP rear projector...well you know the rest..

note, the light bulb thingy only applies to LCD/DLP rear projectors televisions, not flat paneled LCDs (lcd computor monitors)..the flat paneled LCDs for television use are generally limited in screen size (only up to 40 ish inch diag)

the LCD/DLP rear projectors has the same light engine technology as front projectors (projecting an image on a screen) you see at business board meetings and front projector home theater set ups..

hopefully the price if these bulbs will go down and or the bulbs life (they say around 3000 hours) is extended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit