Big Screen TV`s

by OUTLAW 14 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve looked at them all,Plasma,rear projection LCD,DLP..The nicest picture I`ve seen to date,is the 62"Hitachi rear projection LCD..Unfriggin believable!!..It was beautiful..Cost:$2999.99..Any suggestions on big Screen TV`s with a remarkable picture?...OUTLAW

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

You have made a good choice. I heard plasmas give you problems down the road. My friend has a 65" rear proj. LCD and it's great.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

HITACHI ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! sold them when I was selling furniture.......the best......good on you.

purps

• earthtone
    earthtone

That sounds like a good price too. I guess I'll eventually let him(hubbie) get one.

• barry
    barry

Ive got a plasma Ive heard lcd is only good for computer screens or smaller tvs. Ive alsoseen some lcds that leave a shadow with any fast moveing objects

• Dino
    Dino

Hi there OUTLAW.

I just bought a 42" LCD hi-def tv and it is greatness. I debated on a plasma until I saw how the picture looked side by side. LCD is much better IMHO.

I also considered a DLP rear projection LCD, but while awfully good, I didnt like the picture when viewing it from the side. Just my personal opinion.

Whatever decision you make, I know that you will enjoy the home theater experience!

Dino

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Earthtone..Thats the Canadian price tag..Things are usually much cheaper in the USA,than in Canada............The DLP TV`s have to be watched from the right spot or the picture seems to fade...OUTLAW

• RR
    RR

Yes those rear projection LCD TV's are great for watching all those Watchtower videos and DVD's.

RR

• Twitch
    Twitch

LCD technology has come a long way but still has off-axis viewing problems due to it's nature of lensing polarized light. The refresh rates weren't so much an issue as they were initially designed for use with computer data and early attempts at displaying full motion video at 30 frames per second were rather poor but are now much better than they used to be. Still, some makes are better than others and with the advent of the HD format especially at higher resolutions such as 720p and 1080p that require higher bandwidth, LCD is still coming into it's own. Pixel loss is inherent but the industry is bringing the numbers down. Great picture though.

DLP technology is slightly different in that it relies on digital micro mirror technology and Texas Instruments cornered a nice patent with it. I haven't had as much experience with it as LCD but have noticed it's color rendition is superior to LCD, though the digital processing these days has made them about equal, depending on brand.

Gas plasma doesn't suffer from refresh rate problems as much, has good off-axis viewing and has more accurate colour, in my opinion. A somewhat more sensitive technology in general and is susceptible to "burn in" much like CRT monitors where an image displayed for a long period of time will leave a permanent image. Not so much an issue if the use is for standard TV.

Rear projection CRT is still around but not for long. I'm still a bit old school in my preference for an analog technology like the good ol' tube but never liked the off-axis problems with RP TVs. Convergence of the red, green and blue lenses will become an issue over time resulting in the "blurriness" you see in older units that are not maintained regularly. As a technician in the AV industry, I really don't miss having to setup and maintain RP TVs and projectors. Oh, my back still hurts when I think of them,...lol

I currently have a Toshiba 16:9 format CRT television that does 720p/1080i, supports HDMI and incidently has a great picture, lol. All sources are routed through my Yamaha receiver that supports the same formats. I'll eventually bring home the big flat screen one day,.....lol

If remote anxiety is an issue, I would recommend Logitech's Harmony line of "intelligent" remotes for a one remote solution. "Hot" and "soft" keys with menus built in and online download of IR codes for just about everything on the market. Very convenient.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

anyone have an opinion on the Mitsubishi brand rear projection LCD. I saw a 62" 720P at Fry's in Chicago for $1,699. Also if space is not an issue, is there any real difference in rear projection LCD and the flat screen LCD? From the "hopelessly over his head class" Matt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit