Worst scriptures taken out of context?

by slimboyfat 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Warlock,

2 Timothy 3:1-5 is an excellent example. I remember feeling a bit uneasy when using this text to show we were in the last days, especially when reaching v. 5. How could Timothy avoid people who were not supposed to be around back then?

• Shazard
    Shazard

The very context of Bible is Jesus. So it is pretty clear that whenever WT speaks it speaks out of context! But other example comes to mind is Eccl 9:5, where when we read from 1-5 we see that context is from "under the Sun" viewpoint, it's not talking about state of dead from their viewpoint or God's viewpoint.

• M.J.
    M.J.

How about those verses used to support "door to door" preaching?

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine
    Apart from its context, the partial predicate cannot function as an independent construction, so what they are doing is ungrammatical as well.

--Good point TD!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Mat 24:45

"Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?

• Borgia
    Borgia

Applying hebrews chapter 11 about Moses rather suffering than enjoying sin to David (WT study last Sunday)

cheers

Borgia

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

John 10:16

The other sheep are gentiles and the flock was the joos. not heavenly and earthly hopes.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Yeah Borgia it cracks me up any time the Society uses David as a good example at all. You always have those "Yeah but he banged Bathsheba" thoughts going around in the back of your mind.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

My vote goes to Proverbs 4:18. I think that we're all well aware of how this is used out of context.

But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established.(NWT)

• sspo
    sspo

Rev 7 and 14 about the great crowd and 144k going to heaven

Jesus being the mediator primarily for 144k

James 2:17 ? no part of the world which can include almost anything. Quakers beleive not using electricity or motorized equipment

is not being part of the world.

The witnesses with their " unique teachings " have usually one scripture to back up their doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit