Does the Pope have to apologize to the Muslims?

by free2beme 21 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I heard today that the Muslims want the Pope to apologize, and at the same time I have heard Muslims say that even an apology would not be enough. A world leader of a country, has certain diplomatic concerns about what they say and do. However, does a religious leader have these same concerns? After all, religion is about upholding a faith and not about getting along with a worldly government. Their government is suppose to be about one that is ruled by a God, not a man, and the Pope is suppose to be the mouthpiece of the Catholic Christian faith. So, should he be required to apologize to another religion? Another religion that his faith feels is against his God, and bound for hell? Personally, I think a religious leader, no matter how big the religion. Has the right to speak for his religion, and his faith, and not coward to another faith for political reasons.

Never heard a Muslim apologize for 9/11

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

As far as I can tell, some Muslim leaders want the Pope to apologize for something he said, not something some other Catholic(s) did so this doesn't quite seem to fit:

Never heard a Muslim apologize for 9/11

Those who were directly responsible for 9/11 are dead and cannot apologize even if they were so inclined, and I don't think those who helped plan it are likely to apologize, but there were and are many Muslims who condemned it and don't want anything like that to ever happen again:

http://www.islamfortoday.com/terrorism.htm

http://www.unc.edu/~kurzman/terror.htm

~Merry

• Arthur
    Arthur

No, I don't think that he should apologize. I don't think that anyone should ever apologize for calling a spade a "spade". Radical Muslim clerics have been using the "death to Zionists" sloganeering for years. They certainly don't apologize for that.

I'm certainly not a fan of the Pope. But, what the Pope said doesn't even come close to the vicious hatred that many mosques have been preaching about Jews and Christians. He was merely stating facts. If anyone is offended by facts; they need to reevaluate their own thinking; not demand that the messenger say "sorry".

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Oh, and to answer the original question: I think people should only apologize if they are genuinely sorry.

~Merry

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ backed up Jimmy Swaggart..I think the WBT$ should apologize to the Muslims,for the POPE!!..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

If the Pope doesn't apologize he will be needing tips of where to hide from Salman Rushdie.

• ocelot
    ocelot

He MUST NOT apologize. Muslims must not be allowed to dictate what other people are allowed to say.

• greendawn
    greendawn

He shouldn't apologise because what he said was true even if the Moslems do not like it. The founder of their religion did prescribe the sword as a method to spread their faith and that is precisely what his followers and successors did. If the Moslems can't take that then it's their own tough problem it's too late to change history now.

Personally, I'm sick of hearing of the muslim response to cartoons they don't like or pope speeches they abhor. These people loathe freedom of speech, or any other freedoms for that matter. Their outrage falls on deaf ears in this house, despite the fact that I'm no fan of the Pope either.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

It's funny how easy it is to "offend" Islam. A little cartoon, a comment by a Christian religious leader and people are rioting in the streets. If Christians rioted everytime a cleric has said something nasty about Christianity than there would be riots 24/7. These radicals muslims are using our system and our values against us. They know how much we like everything to be P.C. and non-offensive so they try to throw it in our face when they are offended.

Sometimes I advocate taking the high-road and would say the Pope should apologize. But something tells me the people who want an apology understand the high road approach.

BTW, I'm really don't like the pope but I'll stick up for him based on the principle of what's being asked.

A world leader of a country

Since Vatican city is a country, would the Pope be considered a world leader.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit