Anyone here any good at fixing TVs?

by ballistic 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry for the completely non-JW related topic, but...

My SONY Trinitron TV had a number of thin blue horizontal lines appear towards the top of the screen. I did some research and these appear to be "fly back lines" caused by the retrace showing as the gun moves back up the screen.

Rather than call an engineer, I decided to buy another TV on ebay. Get it home, plug it in and this one has exactly the same problem except red lines instead of blue.

I'm just wondering what are the chances of this happening??? The guy says it was fine at his end. I wonder if something like a bad mains power could be causing both TVs to malfunction?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Yes interference from all kinds of things can do something like this to a TV. Take one of the sets to a friends house and try it there. If you see the same thing it's the TV, if not it's an outside source.

• Moomin
    Moomin

Could be some magnetic or electro-magnetic sources near your tv?

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't know - it's bizarre. I do have a LOT of electronic "stuff" everywhere. Or as I've bought two similar models of TV, maybe they suffer similar issues after a few years. Or I'm just bloody unlucky!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

So... what did we learn today, Ballistic?

I think maybe you've opened one too many cans of Wup Ass on yourself, but that's just my opinion.

I like to buy pastries and chicken salad sandwiches on eBay. Haven't had a good one yet!

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm not buying any more electrickery stuff on ebay.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

must be a bad week for t.v's. Mine died too. Completely and utterly dead. Got one of those fancy-dancy flat screen ones at Best Buy. Thinking about the future!! Sorry about the bad luck with yours ballistic. bummer

mumsy

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

I've had a great deal of experience with these sorts of problems. If you have a tool kit, remove the rear protective plate from your television. Be sure the television is plugged in, or you won't be able to find the problem. Using a nail held in your hand, touch as many internal parts as you can, and push the nail into as many crevices and holes as you can find. Anything that looks like an electrical connection, such as a spot with wires soldered in place, touch those too. Keep doing this until the picture clears up or you're electrocuted, whichever comes first. G

• sspo
    sspo

Anybody needs a sprint treo 650 before i put it on ebay.

I promise you guys that it works real good.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    My SONY Trinitron TV

That's your problem right there. Although most people don't like to hear it, Sony manufactures electronic garbage. I've encountered LOTS of Sony products that are 100% crap (like the CD player that only played in the daytime). My most recent encounter was a Sony Trinitron TV that had a cracked circuit board which was directly caused by their poorly designed circuit board mount.

Friends don't let friends buy Sony.

I'm not buying any more electrickery stuff on ebay.

I take it you used to watch Catweasle (That was his name, wasn't it?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit