It is not just Jehovah's Witnesses alone (Discussion)

by The wanderer 11 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    The Seven Christians

This past evening sitting in a restaurant there were seven christians
    who were "witnessing" to me. They belonged to a non-denominational
    religion and quite naturally they proclaimed to have the "truth."

The urge to question them

Although, they were friendly and polite it was imperative to question
    them to see how they would respond to my questions. My first
    question to them was "Who was the founder of your church"?Six out of the seven were stunned by the question—because they
    could not answer it. The seventh one gave a brief but weak testimony.
    Thinking to myself, the word pathetic came into my mind.

Why will they not do it?

Politely, I thanked them for their time and then walked away. During
    the course of the conversation they had that glazed look in their eye
    almost as to say "we cannot think for ourselves; our church does the
    thinking for us."

I could not help to think if that is how I came across as a Jehovah's
    Witness? In addition, why is it that people do not look up the historicity
    of their own religion.

If you can share some of your input in this discussion it would be kindly
    appreciated.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Gill
    Gill

I suspect that the Mormons would be rather uncomfortable with the history of their religion.

I know the JWs would rather not know the history of theirs. If they were to research Russell and Rutherford....well, red faces all round I think!

• FairMind
    FairMind

I believe that most people who belong to fringe religious groups believe their religion is the "Truth".Why else would they be of that religion?People that reason for themselves and are analytical eventually realize the mind control tactics that their particular religion (such as the WTS) use.I know that for myself a wake-up call was the very fact that the WTS DF's people for reading material critical of that organization.My reasoning was that the "Truth" would stand up to a close examination.Also, Jesus did say that the "Truth will set one free".

• aoxo
    aoxo

what was the religion?

• blondie
    blondie

So they didn't say "Jesus Christ"?

I doubt that many JWs would say Charles Taze Russell as many are not really that savvy about WTS history. But would they say Jesus Christ or Jehovah?

Blondie

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

They belonged to a non-denominational

I work with someone who is a big "religionist" , always talking about how necessary it is to be "saved" by Jesus. Which is fine with me. When I asked him what church he went to he replied it was a non-denominational one. He never mentioned a specific name. Isn't that the lastest fad now though?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Last year some people came to my door to witness to me. Apparently my son had shown some interest(probably just being polite) and they were looking for him.

I remember I was tired and said I was off to bed as it was late. They were relentless. I was helpless to their attacks, backing everything up with the bible. It was then I realized, I did not really know the bible. I knew things in principle but did not have what it took to back it up.

When I got a divorce my husband had the better lawyer........He was not the better man........only a better lawyer.

purps

• JeffT
    JeffT

A good test for people who say they're non-denominational (I'm one) is to ask if you can go to some other church after you convert. If they say yes, they have a truely non-denominational viewpoint. I like my church, but it's no skin off my nose if you want to go some where else.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We get the odd evangelists calling around here. They come from a church in the town centre, and they are quite aggressive on the doors, far more so than the jws. The last lot were a guy and a woman, and Trev dealt with them. The guy almost "lost it", and was shouting by the end of the conversation, which lasted around 10 minutes. It was because Trev said he didn't see what anyone got out of hearing people speaking in unintelligible tongues, and the guy didn't agree with him. In the end, Trev told them to go away and not come back, using slightly differrent terminology, and the guy was yelling "you must be born again" over and over. He made himself look rather foolish really, and I doubt he was much of an advertisement for his religion.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    This past evening sitting in a restaurant there were seven christians
    who were "witnessing" to me. They belonged to a non-denominational

You must be a nicer man than I. I'm like a bear when I eat: I ravish anything on the plate, and if you run up on me trying to distract me with any little offer, I'm gonna growl at you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit