Would you feel safe traveling to the Middle East as a tourist?

by free2beme 31 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

One of my dreams is to one day making to Cairo Egypt and see the great pyramids. I want to see a lot of things in that area, as well as other parts of Israel, and the Middle East region. I have been into history, for as long as I can remember. I watch documentaries, read books, and even taken classes at the community college to learn more. I just like learning about, and seeing things that remind us that huge societies existed before the modern times of today. I have been able to make it to places in Mexico, and Belize for the Mayan culture. I have been to Europe, and Japan. I have been all over the southwest for the Indian culture and plan to hit South America in the next few years, for some sites down there. The thing is, I really really really want to go and see some important sites in the Middle East and it irritates me that that area never seems to settle down or get secure. I was wondering though, would you go right now if you had the money or the time to go or does what is happening over there, just make seem to dangerous? You know, people are still going there as tourist each day and nothing seems to be happening to them. Just wonder if it would be something worth trying.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Cairo, Egypt has also been one of the places in the world that I want to see the most. But right now, I wouldn't go there. After the Iraq invasion, anti-Americanism has increased greatly in this part of the world. Even if nothing happened to me, I would still feel extremely uncomfortable. I don't think that I would be able to enjoy it.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

No way.

The instability right now, fear of getting stuck in another country and like Arther said, the hate for Americans I am a fraidy cat.

Shortly after 9/11 and we were attacking somewhere, my girlfriend from Australia came over. I begged her to delay her trip. I was scared for her to travel. She came and all went well.

So I know alot of people do not see the turmoil as others do, and carry on with thier lives.

purps

• free2beme
    free2beme

A friend from work went to Germany for the Soccer thing they had over there. He mentioned that he was glad that he did not look to American (He was born and raised in Greece and moved here in mid-1990's - Although, 100% American, his parents were diplomats or something like that). Anyway, he mentioned that when people were there they were very anti-American and people in the public secure made anti-American comments often. I am about as American looking as apple pie, so I guess it would be hard to hide. I still want to go though, and I doubt the turmoil will change to the better in my life time.

• bubble
    bubble

Me and my family have just returned from a holiday in Egypt. We went to Sharm el Sheikh which is a seaside resort on the Red Sea peninsula. It was fab.

We also took a flight to Cairo and saw the pyramids. That was one of the major highlights of my life, they were absolutely awesome. And never once as a tourist did I feel unsafe.

I say go for it. If you stay away you let the terrorists win.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Egypt seems to be one of the safer places. Egypt is very dependant on the foreign income from tourism and therefore presumably put a lot into security. On a side note, it seems that the Brits are a bit braver then their US counterparts when it comes to travelling.

I am not so sure that other places are so safe. Jordan, Damascus, Iraq and Iran could be fantastic tourist destinations but must be considered as not places for the average tourist.

That said, I worked in Iran a few years ago and loved the place. I found the 'man in the street' very hospitable and friendly. Its like anywhere, a few rotten eggs spoil it for the majority. Eyeslice

• south african beef
    south african beef

I've just got up (well it is sunday) and I see there is this thread on travelling to the Middle East, and that my wife Bubble has beaten me to it and replied already.

I'll just add that not only did we feel completely safe in Cairo, we also did not worry about being robbed - considering the abject poverty most there live in, street crime is far far lower than in any major European (or American) city.

The Muslims who live in Egypt do not get agitated at any little thing and in fact they live alongside millions of christians in Cairo.

I worked in London during the time the IRA were trying to bomb England and London in particular - it didn't stop me going to work. If it had, then the terrorist has won and I was determined that the IRA would never win.

You must go to Cairo - the pyramids are an absolutely awe inspiring sight. You will be left wondering 'how on earth did they build these?'. You also will be glad that you have seen the only remaining wonder of the 'seven wonders of the world.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It's a place I would like to visit, but I wouldn't go there at the moment. It seems to be one of the more dangerous places to visit just now.

• Faolan
    Faolan

It's a difficult one. I understand the reasoning for going in relation to "not letting the terrorists win". On the other hand, if you don't feel safe, then it spoils the trip. I visited Qatar not long after the first Gulf War, as my dad and his wife were working and living over there. For all the conflict seemed to have died down, I did feel a little edgy, and a visit to the very north of the penninsula brought about a very real reminder of what happened - remember the oil terminals that were set alight? The coastline of Qatar was still covered in the oil slicks and the devastation was horrible. Also, (although not a Middle Eastern country) I visited Zimbabwe in 1991 and I loved that place so much. The people were so friendly, beautiful and proud of their country. I vowed to visit again, but at the moment, there is no way I would take the risk.

I think it's all down to how comfortable you would feel making a trip to such an area. As for waiting for for things to settle down a bit, you could be waiting a very long time, so if you feel so strongly about it, maybe you should grasp the nettle and make the trip?

• sspo
    sspo

not at this time, with the mess going on and being American. Not safe but one day would love to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit