At what time frame of exit, could you technically sue for harassment?

by free2beme 10 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I was thinking about this the other day. I have not been a Witness for nearly a decade now, and my spouse left the religion at the same time. We never disassociated ourselves, as we did not want to play by the rules of an organization that we no longer honored as anything. Yet with the new movement to try and get in contact with the ones labeled, "inactive." I was wondering if there was a time frame that exist legally, in which you could file harassment charges against them, if they were to pursue contact beyond what you have deemed appropriate. Anyone know about this find of thing, I have always felt that it should be about six months after the last time you turn in time. Although, I have known people on boards like this, that have commented on visits past that point. I would be willing to make a legal stand, I have the money for it and would have no problem making a point with them leaving people, who obviously want no contact, alone.

So what do you know?

• sspo
    sspo

When they show up tell them firmly where to go and that you want to be left alone.

If they come back again, before you open the door call the cops.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They could probably justify visiting you to ask about your "status", jw - wise, with this question, which anyone getting baptised as a jw has to answer:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovahs Witnesses in association with God's spirit - directed Organisation?

I know that's what the elders who came to see my bf reminded him of, and he hadn't been to a meeting for well over 5 years at the time. They reminded him that, according to congregation records, he was still a jw, though he hadn't identified himself as one for several years. If you do get a visit, they might use the same tactics with you.

• free2beme
    free2beme

They can say what ever they want, but what does the law say.

• blondie
    blondie

Are you thinking more of stalking rather than harassment?

The WTS gives instructions to the elders to call on DF'd and DA'd JWs (and inactive) once a year. Few do that though. If the elders did though and you asked them not to call, the WTS instructs the elders not to come back. I don't have access to my CD right now, but I'm sure it is not hard to find that directive.

If after asking them not to call, they come back or continue to make contact, sit outside your house and monitor your actions, I would think you would have more a case of stalking, not harrassment.

Blondie

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

KM-3-2000 14 In harmony with previous direction from the Society, the body of elders will be making a special effort to encourage all inactive publishers in the territory to attend the Memorial. (Matt. 18:12-14) The elders will want to review the Society?s letter of February 2, 1999. The congregation secretary is to make a list of all inactive publishers, and the service overseer will assign elders to call on them and invite them to the Memorial. Perhaps by receiving an encouraging shepherding visit as soon as possible, these inactive ones can be assisted to become active again in the field ministry, even during April. It will be upbuilding to them to be invited to share with an experienced publisher in the field service. KM-6-1994 Question Box ? How should matters be handled when a householder insists that Jehovah?s Witnesses make no further calls at that home? When we encounter a sign at the door that strictly prohibits calls of a religious nature and specifically mentions Jehovah?s Witnesses, it may be best to respect the householder?s wishes and avoid knocking. Sometimes we come upon a sign prohibiting salesmen or solicitors. Since we are doing charitable religious work, that does not really apply to us. It would be appropriate to go ahead and knock at such doors. If the householder objects, we can tactfully explain why we feel that such signs do not apply in our case. If the householder then makes it clear that the prohibitionincludes Jehovah?s Witnesses, we will respect his wishes. When we are working the territory, a householder may become visibly upset and emphatically insist that we do not call again. If he refuses to reason on the matter, we should comply with thisrequest. A dated note should be placed in the territory envelope so that publishers working the territory in the future will avoid calling at that address. Such homes are not to be avoided indefinitely. The present occupants may move away. We may contact another family member who will respond favorably. There is also the possibility that the householder to whom we spoke will have a change of heart and become more agreeable to having us call. So after some time a tactful inquiry should be made of the occupants to determine their current feelings. The territory file should be reviewed once a year, making a list of the homes where we have been advised not to call. Under the direction of the service overseer, some tactful, experienced publishers can be assigned to visit these homes. It could be explained that we are calling to inquire if the same householder still lives there. The publisher should be familiar with the material in the Reasoning book, pages 15-24, entitled ?How You Might Respond to Potential Conversation Stoppers.? If there is a reasonable response, future calls can be made in the usual way. If the householder continues to be antagonistic, no further calls should be made until the following year. The local body of elders can decide if the circumstances in a particular case make it advisable to handle things differently. Nevada-

• blondie
    blondie

If it reaches that point, I would get a no trespassing sign and send a letter to the congregation, attn the PO, saying no one is to call and any further contact will require you to get a restraining order against the congregation. But there is always some dingy dub that can't read the note in territory card. Non-JWs have been trying for years to get dubs to stop calling. If something worked 100% we'd know by now.

Blondie

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

If you need scans of the Watchtower-1991-April-15-pp. 20-25 entitled, "Imitate God's Mercy Today" concerning calling on disassociated or disfellowshipped ones, then just post below or send a [pm] and I'll be happy to scan them for you!

Nevada-

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Seems to me that if one time you tell them not to come by any more and they DO, then it should be harrassment.

• free2beme
    free2beme

When I was a Witness, we live in a territory that did not get worked as regularly as we were suppose too. Because of that, there was little to no extra time to do what the KM encouraged the elders to do. I know this is still the case to this day, as I have friends and relatives that still attend that tell me. In any case, an effort to seek me and my spouse out, would be something that would be about us only and not some group function. Besides, I have heard from those that still attend (relatives), that they feel we are to far gone to help and would start with someone who might still be savable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit