Goodbye Mathew, King of Karoeke

by Joe Grundy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Dear All I am saddened, annoyed, pissed off and hurt. This evening I learned that Mathew, King of Karoeke, died last week. I learned it because I went into the 'Queen Vic' bar and there was a glass collecting for a wreath. For those who did not know him, Mathew was a guy in his early/mid 20s. He had a very pronounced hair lip and probably learning difficulties. He wore Roy Orbison sunglasses, travelled the karoeke bars, and made everyone smile. I had the pleasure of talking to him, and bu ying him a coke, several times. I also had the pleasure of spending some hours talking with his Dad, Peter, and chatting. This evening I learned that Mathew died last week. I know in basic terms how he died (I won't share that here). As far as I know, Mathew never did anything except bring pleasure to peoples' lives. I am particularly annoyed, to put it mildly, that I can't seem to find out his Dad's phone number just to pass on my condolences. Sometimes, in my humble opinion, life sucks.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I am so sorry to hear that, Joe.

I didn't personally know of Matthew, but he sounds like a completely harmless individual who lived to bring a little pleasure to the people he met, and it's always a tragedy when someone so young dies.

Linda

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Sorry, this really has nothing to do with JWs, past or present.

Just that I know the peeps on here are caring, sharing, and all that.

And that Mathew was just an ordinary guy, with his own problems, who brought a lot of pleasure and fiendship to an awful lot of people.

I am sad and angry. Why him? Why not me? I have brought a lot of trouble into peoples' lives.

Poor bugger. Kinell.

• Mary
    Mary
    I am sad and angry. Why him? Why not me? I have brought a lot of trouble into peoples' lives.

Well, have you ever heard that saying "only the good die young"?? It's true. I was particularly saddenly when Dana Reeves died from lung cancer, even though she never smoked. There's no rhyme nor reason as to why some die so young and others live to be a hundred.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Joe I hope you can find his father. Perhaps the people collecting for the cause may be able to pass along a card or note from you?

We have a man in my area. I think he has cerebal palsy. And he does the karoake circuits too. He LOVES it... Love being an understatement. I've seen him a few times now and it always makes us laugh and smile. You can see just how much he enjoys it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Joe said,

I have brought a lot of trouble into peoples' lives.

I have got to suspect that any trouble you brought into any one's life was well deserved.

You were in law enforcement, right?

I think you need to take some Karaoke Bartenders out back and "have a friendly chat" with them.

But seriously - you're in a rather small island community, correct? It's unlikely that Matthew and his Dad were in the witness protection program. Where was the funeral held? Was there a coroner's inquest? A hospitalization?

Bottom line is I think you can find the man. It's not like he's hiding.

PS - As for non JW topics, they are a welcome change, trust me!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I am saddened, annoyed, pissed off and hurt.

Joe, my condolences to you for the loss of your friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit