Who cleans the KH?

by solo 27 Replies latest jw friends

• solo
    solo

I just had a flash back to when we used to have to clean the KH. Each group had to take it in turn to do the cleaning.

In our group we had a bunch of lazy b*****ds, so it was left to us kids and our dad to clean the KH, bogs, etc. Even my mum used to find some excuse to duck out.

So if meetings, door knocking, studying, praying wasn't enough we also had to spend a couple of hours cleaning every month or so

Do the bros and sis still have to do this or do they employ cleaners these days?

• beautifulisfree
    beautifulisfree

Do the bros and sis still have to do this or do they employ cleaners these days?

Last I heard the 'Witnoids' were still doing the cleaning themselves. Whats new? Man, I hated bookstudy cleaning night. Yet, even though they have book studies at peoples homes (ours included) they never think : Huh we make Bro and sis hospitalitys house a huge mess and we never help them clean before the bookstudy....Why don't we help them clean their house??

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Back when I went in the 80s and 90s the bookstudy groups would take turns; sometimes the group would stay after the Thursday night meeting and clean after everybody left or we would clean them on Saturday.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think they still do it themselves. My mom was feeling bad about not doing it recently(3d abdominal surgery in 18 mos)

BTW they probably do a better job than paid professionals and it gets them out of field service which I think is why my mom likes doing it. She is working for the org. w/o having to do FS.

• Swamboozled
    Swamboozled

Each book sudy took a turns on ours as well... There was never very many that showed either.

• juni
    juni

I remember cleaning the Hall after service on Saturdays when it was your book study's turn. It was the usual people. But we had a good time. The sisters usually had bathroom duty and the bros vacuumed and took out the trash. Older ones went around and dusted here and there.

Juni

• 30girl
    30girl

ROFLMAO Our Hall rotated by bookstudy. The bookstudy was at our house and had poor attendance. One time just the conductor showed up for service/cleaning and it was my two girls and the conductor who cleaned the Hall. No joke. I cleaned both bathrooms, babyroom, kitchen, 2nd school, foyer, coatrooms, swept and mopped and dusted while he vacuumed the front of the Hall, eventually I helped with the vacuuming too. He wasn't a professional cleaner but I had years of experience from working for a brother who had a maintenance company and working for my mother who cleans houses.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

Oh no! I remember that.

We used to do it after the ministry on a Saturday. I liked to get there early to make sure the chairs weren't stacked up. Some brothers like to stack them up hoover then put the chairs out again, it would take ages. If you just hoovered round the chairs you could do the hall in no time.

I would avoid the toilets if I could. Anyway, they would be cleaned the following week by another group.

Actually, I remember when we were assigned to clean for the circuit assembly at Haysbridge. We would shut the upstairs toilets for cleaning during the final session so we wouldn't be late going home. Not a popular move, but we stuck to it for several assemblies. The tip was just make sure the taps and mirrors were shiny. It didn't matter how clean the toilets were.

• Mulan
    Mulan

One of my friends and I used to clean it by ourselves, with our kids, because no one would ever show up to help. We did it like that many, many times. One sister actually said she had "already put in my years cleaning the KH".

The men would help if they were available, but both of our husbands were busy elders and usually weren't there with us.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Not me! I don't dirty it so why should I clean it.

Over the years I went a few times and helped out, but nothing major.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit