BETHEL NYC ......ANYONE KNOW????

by Raphael 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Raphael
    Raphael

Anyone know Merton & Olga Campbell from Bethel,

Met them years ago at Bethel NYC and thought they were an amazing couple - very hospitable and warm..

Merton I think is quite senior at headquaters , but seemed more liberal than most .

Also anyone know Olaf Stephenson from Watchtower Farms, was a really nice fella and often wonder what they are doing with their lives today?????

• hopie
    hopie

Sorry Raphael,

I don't recognize those names, but I would appreciate knowing if anyone knows Eugene Amy, I recently heard he is an ex-jw now, after serving over 30 years in Bethel.

Hopie

• gymbob
    gymbob

Raphael~

I knew the Merton Campbell! You're right, he was a great guy, very friendly.....back in 79'! I don't know what he's doing now, but i'd bet good money he's still at the big house in Brooklyn.......GYMBOB

• blondie
    blondie

As of 8/15/00

Service Department Personnel, Patterson, NYCharles Woody: Coordinator
    Wm. Van De Wall: Asst. Coordinator
    William Young
    Merton Campbell

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/writing_dept.htm

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

I agree Raphael,

There were a few people there I thought were genuine and these two were among those. It is a rather isolated life there at Bethel ( had no tv or radio for almost 5 yrs, my fault though) but how could someone be in the Cambell's position without eventually seeing too much coming in from the outside that would destroy their faith in the institution? I don't know, I just don't judge any more. Those seemed to be a good couple. I have no idea how they are now. Steve

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I knew Merton and Olga Campbell. I'm pretty sure he's still in the Service Department, where he's been a big wig for years. I was in his office at Bethel years ago, where I was shocked to see that he had one of those black 8-Ball things that we were always told were demonized! It was a joke at Bethel.

Merton studied with a guy in Brooklyn who moved to my congregation in the 70s and became one of my best friends and a fellow elder.

The last time I saw the Campbells was when this friend's daughter got married, and they came up for the wedding. A few years ago, my friend talked to Merton at a district convention about me when I left the Witnesses, and Merton was shocked at my leaving, or so I was told.

Merton would know all the skeletons in the WTS, but not be one to rock the boat. Olga loved it when she had the chance to be a buyer when the Standish Hotel (and other buildings) was being remodeled. She was instrumental in replacing the crystals on the amazing chandeliers they found buried in the ceilings.

A funny story Olga told us one evening when we were visiting Bethel. It was really a put down story about how dumb a lot of the Witnesses were, and told that way. She said that when the story came out the the Proctor and Gamble logo (I think it was their's) on all their products was "demonized," a lot of the sisters in the cleaning department threw out their products! The overseers of the department made them go back and get them!

S4

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Yes Campbell is still in Service. I would like to know more about Gene Amy. If true thats amazing, so many longtime Witnesses leaving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit