What do you think the Society's future holds?

by KW13 46 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

It may be interesting to study regimes, cults, sects, etc., of the past and present as an aid to predict the future of this one.

Here's a link to purchasing info about a historical book on the Iglesia ni Cristo:

http://www.baguiocity.com/onlinedir/manalocult/index.html

The history of Mormonism might contain interesting parallels.

Communist regimes like the Soviet Union I think contain very relevant parallels.

Then of course there's the Worldwide Church of God. I thought I read somewhere that the WTS had people investigate that one, perhaps to see where things went wrong? I don't know if that's hearsay.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    David Koresh was never more than a blackhead on the face of religion. Now they have 'a few followers left'. I don't think a few fringies pose quite the danger of a large corporation such a the WTS. Billionaires. If there are a few JWs in the far distant future I can live with it. What bugs me is that they have credibility because of their numbers and their money and their publishing. They are 'recognized' as a religion. They should not even have that courtesy. THAT is what will end, and that is what I am looking forward to.

Well, I don't necessarily think that the JW's will maintain their numbers, but like you say in regards to Koresh's group they have a few followers left. That's what will come of the dubs. Good point regarding the credibility. Lol, I guess I forget that people actuallly find them to be a credible religion and not a dangerous cult. How would I forget that? hmm

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think they are actually loosing numbers now and just lie about it. I think we'll see more and more of that. Halls closing and being sold congregations consolidating and the numbers will keep going up in the watchtower! LOL...

I really do think 2014 is gonna kill them!... Or at least hurt them BADLY! They can't get out of 1914 they've just built to much on it!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Religion has survived for centuries and it will continue to survive. JW's included.

There are literally millions of religions that have gone the way of the dodo! How many people worship Thor? Zeus? Apollo? Yet these religions had millions of followers! Now they are completly gone. The question is whether the society will survive not Christianity! Even Christianity will eventually fall or give way to something else it's the way of the world and the human race.

There will be 'pockets' of witnesses left here and there. 'Old timers' who will simply not let it go until they die. The WT society will cease to exist as we know it within our lifetimes! Plus there are some people who have their hands pretty deep in the ol' honey jar and when the honey starts to dry up they is gonna grab a big handful and run!

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

At least we got out in time!

We have to be thankful for that!

Pope

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Religion has survived for centuries and it will continue to survive. JW's included.

There are literally millions of religions that have gone the way of the dodo! How many people worship Thor? Zeus? Apollo? Yet these religions had millions of followers! Now they are completly gone. The question is whether the society will survive not Christianity! Even Christianity will eventually fall or give way to something else it's the way of the world and the human race.

There will be 'pockets' of witnesses left here and there. 'Old timers' who will simply not let it go until they die. The WT society will cease to exist as we know it within our lifetimes! Plus there are some people who have their hands pretty deep in the ol' honey jar and when the honey starts to dry up they is gonna grab a big handful and run!

WIthout going into what exactly happened to those religions I suppose I was just trying to make this point: As long as people Want to be led by a religion that makes their decisions for them and promises them eternal life and basically simplifies it for them then there will most likely always be the jw's around. There are more then the jw's to look for to do this, but unfortunately, yeah, they are given way too much credibility. And even then when they get backlash, they spin it to their advantage. Anyhow, as much as I would really, really, really, really like to think that one day the world will consist of people who don't need anyone to tell them to be good, decent persons in order to be good, decent persons, I don't see that happening for a long time. Sorry. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic about man, but I run into a lot of dumba**** and so.... Could Christianity itself die out? Sounds like an interesting topic. ps actually many people who worship those gods but anyway....

• free2beme
    free2beme

If you look at them from a business standpoint, which is a true indicator in religion, as well. Then you would see slow and low growth, with death of the older ones causing a huge decrease in the hard core followers. You would realize that in time, short time, things will turn in on them and extreme measures will force them to do things that would seem unlike what their people expect.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

JWdaughter said it: They are losing their American base which supported the rest.

This IS an American religion, when all is said and done. When the "head" dies, the tail will soon follow.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

" have seen the dubber talking heads run in to problems before, 1975, watched how many sold what they had,quit their jobs, all waiting for the big bang that never came. and then got shot down for expecting the very thing they were told to expect."

Yes, but Kilroy2, that was BEFORE the internet - WAY before. The people caught up in 1975 had no way of checking with others to see what they thought about it all - if they even had the guts to do so, say, for instance, in their own congregation, because, after all, we all know how the df'ing works and "1984" style squealing on your brother/sister. Those people were SO alone, so alone, it makes me cry - and angry! Those people who left afterward were so frigging brave - to just walk away from it all. That took GUTS.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

free2beme:

"If you look at them from a business standpoint, which is a true indicator in religion, as well. Then you would see slow and low growth, with death of the older ones causing a huge decrease in the hard core followers."

Would you also apply this "business" rationale to the radical Muslims who are killing people today in the name of "jihad"? Seems to me we are experiencing an increase in these religious murderers, not a lessening, as your "slow and low growth" business model would seem to indicate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit