The Bethel downsizing letter

by OnTheWayOut 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was at the KH and the official discussion of the letter on the cover of the Sept. Kingdom Ministry took place. The instructions were to include a discussion of how the need for workers in the field was great.

Basically, the letter says that due to technology, less Bethelites are needed, so many are being sent out into the field, with many congregations in the United States receiving the benefits of these "mature" publishers. Yes, they actually said they were sending older ones packing from Bethel. One sister who volunteers at Bethel in the Summer said that many mature ones were definitely leaving or already gone. I said to my wife, "They do this now, before these mature ones need expensive healthcare. It's sad that they expected to be cared for at Bethel as they got older, some giving up lucrative careers for poverty, then dismissed to some congregation that may or may not be able to help them."

This so burns me up. On the upside, my wife (stable rock-steady JW) allowed me to say all this without disagreement or tuning me out. She might be reached, eventually.

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

How are we to be sure that "mature" refers only to older ones?

Perhaps others who's skills are no longer needed could be put out to pasture.

Consider this: This could also be an attempt to put more people in "weaker" congreations and/or to spread Brooklyn's eyes and ears around a little more

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    I said to my wife, "They do this now, before these mature ones need expensive healthcare.

Unless you have both feet firmly under the table. As a naive teen, I believed that all were of equal value within the Society (which cared about every individual). As I said - naive.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

How are we to be sure that "mature" refers only to older ones?

Perhaps others who's skills are no longer needed could be put out to pasture.

Consider this: This could also be an attempt to put more people in "weaker" congreations and/or to spread Brooklyn's eyes and ears around a little more

All true, all true. The word "mature" did not exclude younger mature people. I don't want to mislead anyone, here. My point is that it was a major announcement, and they did include older people in the pink slips, perhaps (but perhaps not) a majority were older.

Certainly, there will be some of that other point, spreading the "Big Brother's eyes and ears" stuff. (Maybe I will call it Big Mother.) But, unless these ones are still cared for financially by Bethel (some have probably been made travelling overseers and still get cared for), I don't see them reporting back their shocking findings. (Or perhaps Bethelites were more assimilated than I was, and they will do whatever Big Mother says).

• Jringe01
    Jringe01
    But, unless these ones are still cared for financially by Bethel (some have probably been made travelling overseers and still get cared for), I don't see them reporting back their shocking findings. (Or perhaps Bethelites were more assimilated than I was, and they will do whatever Big Mother says).

I think it will be the latter. The JW's I personally know are the worst keepers of secrets and the biggest bunch of tattletails I have ever come across. It would not suprise me if other adherants willl display the exact same traits.

• Flash
    Flash
    Basically, the letter says that due to technology...

Its possible.

Its also possible that their spinning it, that demand for their publications is down and it costs money to feed and house slaves...oops, I mean volunteers.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What's truly great is that the rank and file see right thru this. They might not do anything, but here is a dent in the armor. I can say with virtual certainty that most JW have no idea about lawsuits, silentlambs, Ray Franz, The United Nations, etc., but they do understand the meaning of this. Some will support it, saying money shouldn't be "wasted" on lower productivity workers, but most will silently wonder what's next. If the next thing is another drastic money-saver (once-a-month WT or offering only tracts in FS) more will wonder.

Kingdom News #37 is merely a way to reduce costs and keep JWs busy. They didn't release much new literature this year. I joked on another post about the WTS asking publishers to start going to Kinkos and make their own placeable copies of tracts. Watch out if anything near that comes true.

I'm going to continue to focus on those "dents" in their armor. I need to get my wife and mother out.

• V
  • Flash
    Flash
    If the next thing is another drastic money-saver (once-a-month WT or offering only tracts in FS) more will wonder.

Someone here at JWD was speculating the next big anouncement will be the start of Tithing to the WTS ...It wouldn't surprise me!!

• Jringe01
    Jringe01
    Someone here at JWD was speculating the next big anouncement will be the start of Tithing to the WTS ...It wouldn't surprise me!!

Somehow I don't think so................ Something else is afoot here

They are up to something

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit