Has anyone read this article..

by earthtone 85 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

3rdw: I have never found any instructions from the WTS to the elders telling them to discourage individuals from going to the police about child abuse. Have you? Then please bring it forward.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

: ?Further, because of the sheltered religious environment in which she had been raised she did not feel she had any choice but to follow the process directed by the Jehovah?s Witness elders whom she had spoken to in Toronto. That process was psychologically harmful to her,?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

That process would be to confront her father in a judicial committee meeting? That makes it obvious nothing was reported to appropriate authorities?yet.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

So who was at fault for her feeling as though she had no other choice? Call me dense if you like I don?t care but of all the statements made in that court report that statement alone only shows how contradictory the real jw world is compared to what ever the written rules were that the Judge might have read. Why wouldn?t a Judge acknowledge that? They just blamed 1 elder?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was an elder...if i had been dealing with someone who was depressed i would have told them not to go to a worldly counsellor

i would have done this because that was society policy at the time...it may not have been in writing but it was tacitly agreed that worldly councellors would use unchristian methods hypnotism eg unlocking repressed memories etc and would encourage unchristian behaviour eg drown sorrows in drink use illegal drugs have an affair.

the policy changed while i was an elder...and this was due to a better understanding and this is no bad thing.

the policy changed with regard to child abuse too...now it is in writing that the org do not tell a victim not to report it if they want...but i think it is fair to say that this has not always been the case.

the policy changed with regard to organ transplants too..and someone newly associating with jws would find it hard to believe they were veiwed the way they once were.

so what has been the reason for the changes...greater understanding definately, more accurate information undoubtably, more people suffering most probably (inc gb members), more people prepared to speak out for sure.

but jws and the gb in particular would have us believe that it is increased light as influenced by holy spirit that has directed the changes. they would use the same kind of reasoning that jesus used when he only revealed so much to his disciples because as he said he had much to tell them but they werent ready for it yet.

so at what point do sufferers from depression, victims of chile abuse, or people in need of a transplant become 'ready' for the correct information and treatment so that at that point and not before does jehovah direct his spirit to reveal the truth

the idea that these changes are someway directed by holy spirit is no more credible than the fact that we no longer lock up epeleptic people in mental institutions or consider those who write with their left hands as being spawned by the devil..a conclusion that society has come to without any 'new light' being shed on the matter

• Beardo
    Beardo
    We are not to blindly follow the elders or the WTS.

@third: ROFL - come, come, now you really are stretching the TRUTH. The WTS is God's mouthpiece, if black is white then black is white.

• avengers
    avengers

What i do know is that in the beginning of the seventies, you wouldn't think of it to to get professional help from psychologists or psychiatrist. In those days they were thought of as Satan's influence. No way in hell would elders in those days refer to the authorities. They belong to Satan's system.

Andy

• Beardo
    Beardo

Yes, there may be an internal policy now allowing 'depressed ones' to seek outside help (and lets face it, a lot of the maniacs at the hall will only make matters worse!) - but when I was there in the early 90s I was told by a well respected sister that I was not wise to seek the counsel of somebody aligned with the world.

But the light just keeps on getting brighter... or should that be "common sense is resurfacing in light of severe internal problems and possible law suits against the society" ?

Afterall, how many broken down individuals crippled by delusional minds and inefficient emotional support can one organization take?

• DannyHaszard
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

Be patient with 3W he seems like someone who wants truth,

It's hard when your whole belief system can be shattered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit