Got my copies of August and September Awakes today! Funny and sad story.

by hubert 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• hubert
    hubert

I was in my truck in town and talking with my sis-in-law whom I met on a side street, and while we were discussing something, she noticed a group of 4 people, 2 women, and two girls, walking up and down the other side of the street, then they got in their car, and stayed there.

So, my sis-in-law said, "I wonder if they are j.w.'s"? So, when she left, I pulled right up next to them, and asked them if they happened to be j.w.'s? The driver gave me a huge smile, and said, "Yes, we are!" So then I said, "Would you happen to have a copy of the August and September issues of the Awake magazine"? So, they practically jumped out of the car, flew open the trunk, and started digging. One lady came from the back seat with one copy, and the other lady found one in the trunk. It was so funny, I thought they were going to tear the car apart looking for them !!

All this time, the two kids were sulking in the back seat, because all the schools were closed today because of voting in the primary elections, and many schools are used for voting places, and these poor kids were out in service, while all the "worldly" kids were enjoying one of the most beautiful fall days here in New England. I felt sad for them. That's why I didn't give them a hard time, and just thanked them for the books. One lady even offered to bring books to my house, which I replied, "No thanks, that's okay. I'm all set". I really wanted to say..."Don't forget to count your time", but they were so happy, I didn't want to ruin their day, and they were good enough to let me have the books without asking me why I wanted them. Little did they know it is for my research against them.

On a side note, I especially wanted the August Issue, because I heard it had an article in it about blood, and that the w.t. was starting to quote doctors saying that blood is an "organ". Well, we all know where this is going, don't we? So, I open the August issue, and on page 3, they mention blood being an organ 4 times, in one small paragraph ! I guess they want to make sure that the j.w.'s see it, so that when they change their policy (again) and say j.w.'s can have organ transplants, oh, which by the way includes "blood", the j.w.'s will already have this in the back of their (empty heads) minds.

So, it was a great day, indeed.

Hubert

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Ah yes, nothing rouses a dub more than an interested person dropping right into their lap, eh?

On a side note, I especially wanted the August Issue, because I heard it had an article in it about blood, and that the w.t. was starting to quote doctors saying that blood is an "organ". Well, we all know where this is going, don't we? So, I open the August issue, and on page 3, they mention blood being an organ 4 times, in one small paragraph ! I guess they want to make sure that the j.w.'s see it, so that when they change their policy (again) and say j.w.'s can have organ transplants, oh, which by the way includes "blood", the j.w.'s will already have this in the back of their (empty heads) minds.

This might be an escape plan of theirs. But I doubt they'd reverse the blood ban. It would raise WAY to many flags in a dub's head.

I also feel bad for those kids. Nothing was better than a "Staff Development Day" on a Friday or Monday and just chilling out all day long.

• V
    V

To note: JWs do allow organ transplants and have since 1980. This was a reversal of a 'no transplant' rule since 1967.

And in case of those who feel that blood is in the transplanted organ, which it is, check out the following article about bone marrow transplants...

w803/15p.31QuestionsFromReaders***

Other sincere Christians today may feel that the Bible does not definitely rule out medical transplants of human organs. They may reason that in some cases the human material is not expected to become a permanent part of the recipient?s body. Body cells are said to be replaced about every seven years, and this would be true of any human body parts that would be transplanted. It may be argued, too, that organ transplants are different from cannibalism since the "donor" is not killed to supply food. In some cases persons nearing death actually have willed body parts to be used for transplants. Of course, if a transplant should require taking in another person?s blood, undeniably that would be contrary to God?s command.?Acts 15:19, 20.

Clearly, personal views and conscientious feelings vary on this issue of transplantation. It is well known that the use of human materials for human consumption varies all the way from minor items, such as hormones and corneas, to major organs, such as kidneys and hearts. While the Bible specifically forbids consuming blood, there is no Biblical command pointedly forbidding the taking in of other human tissue. For this reason, each individual faced with making a decision on this matter should carefully and prayerfully weigh matters and then decide conscientiously what he or she could or could not do before God. It is a matter for personal decision. (Gal. 6:5) The congregation judicial committee would not take disciplinary action if someone accepted an organ transplant.

w845/15p.31QuestionsFromReaders***

The Bible states clearly that God?s servants must ?abstain from blood.? (Acts 15:28, 29; Deuteronomy 12:15, 16) But, since red cells originate in the red bone marrow, do the Scriptures class marrow with blood? No. In fact, animal marrow is spoken of like any other flesh that could be eaten. Isaiah 25:6 says that God will prepare for his people a banquet that includes "well-oiled dishes filled with marrow." Normal slaughtering and drainage procedures never drain all blood cells from the marrow. Yet once a carcass is drained, then any of the tissue may be eaten, including the marrow.

Of course, marrow used in human marrow transplants is from live donors, and the withdrawn marrow may have some blood with it. Hence, the Christian would have to resolve for himself whether?to him?the bone-marrow graft would amount to simple flesh or would be unbled tissue. Additionally, since a marrow graft is a form of transplant, the Scriptural aspects of human organ transplants should be considered. See "Questions From Readers" in our issue of March 15, 1980. Finally, writing in Harrison?sPrinciplesofInternalMedicine (Update I, 1981, page 138), Dr. D. E. Thomas observes that "virtually all marrow transplant recipients will require platelet transfusions" and many are given "packed red blood cells." So the Christian should consider what additional issues he would have to face if he submitted to a marrow transplant.?Proverbs 22:3.

Though a personal decision has to be made on this matter, the Bible?s comments about blood and marrow should help the individual to decide.

• bebu
    bebu

Thanks, hubert! Yeah, I'll bet that articles like this slowly pave the way for doctrinal change.

(Hey, I wonder if you could print that paragraph here? I'm interested in reading it.)

V, that was very informative too. Thanks for that.

bebu

• observador
    observador

Hello Hubert,

man, you can't imagine how good I feel when I see people approaching the JWs and engage them in a civilized manner without the fear we used to have.

What a wonderful impact the free flow of information is having!

Observador.

• parakeet
    parakeet

You do realize, hubert, that soon this story will appear in the Awake:

"Despite the lateness of the hour, with Armageddon just around the corner, people with sheeplike hearts are still being drawn to Jehovah's righteous organization. Witnesses in field service reported that just as they were about to leave their territory, a man suddenly drove up alonside them and eagerly asked them for the latest Awake magazines. The brothers and sisters had already packed away the publications, but the man was insistent and would not leave without them. After searching through their car for several minutes, they finally found the life-giving words of the faithful and discreet slave and gave them to the grateful man. How wonderful it is to see Jehovah's holy spirit working to help potential 'sheep' find the 'waters that give eternal life.'"

• bebu
    bebu

LOL @ parakeet!

Aw hubert, now look what ya done.

bebu

• hubert
    hubert

Parakeet, That was good !! I know I made their day.

But they made mine too, because I got what I wanted.....the August issue of Awake, with a bonus September issue, too. (I still feel bad for those kids. They will get their revenge when they turn 18 and announce to their parents that they won't be going to meetings anymore).

And especially for Bebu, Here's the paragraph that she wants me to quote....

A Unique Organ

Because of it's amazing complexity, blood is often likened to an organ (bold print mine) of the body. "Blood is one of the many organs-incredibly wonderful and unique," Dr. Bruce Lenes told Awake! Unique, indeed! One textbook describes blood as "the only organ in the body that's a fluid." The same reference calls blood "a living transportation system." What does that mean?

I am taking this out of context, because the rest of the article, along with a few more, tell how blood transfusions should not be taken, and goes into detail about the dangers, composition of blood, etc. But note how the word organ is used 4 times, counting the heading, in only one short paragraph. It's got to be there for a reason, either to start the rank and file thinking about blood being an organ, or maybe trying to use this type of definition to counter law suits in the future against no-blood related deaths.

What's your take on this?

Hubert

• under_believer
    under_believer

My take is that you're reading too much into it and attributing way too much strategic thinking to the Society.
    If they could lift the blood ban without legal problems, I think they would have years ago.
    I think that's just a careless quote trying to illustrate how wonderful and magical blood is. It's encouraging that you noticed that contradiction (i.e. that it's an organ and organ xplants are okay, so why isn't blood xfusion okay?)--hopefully some Witnesses will too.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Oh, poor kids. I hate to hear that. They were probably bored out of their heads.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit