If you have young ones being indoctrined - there is hope!

by Dawn 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

When I was DF'd and made a decision not to return my son was only 4. My parents still did their part to indoctrinate him and he insisted on going to meetings with them quite often (I know - if I knew then what I know now I would have stopped that - but that's water under the bridge)

I spent many hours explaining to him why I did not believe it any longer, and having to suffer through him being upset with me for not going to meetings. I just kept giving him information, explaining things to him - as much as I could in a non defensive way.

By the time he was 13-14 years old he barely went to meetings - mainly only when his grandparents guilted him into it. But he still defended them and their shunning and he still thought they were the "truth" Still - I tried my best not to put him in the middle between me and my parents and to just give him information. And I did my best to keep him involved in other positive things, like sports, school activities, etc. As time passed, he got more involved in sports and his friends, and eventually he quit going to meetings all together.

He's now 20 and at college. I was visiting him this weekend and during one of our conversations he told me how glad he was that I had left the JWs when I did. He said he realized now how messed up his life would have been and he was glad that I stood my ground and didn't let him get mixed up in that.

It was a lot of years of frustration and hard work (and tears) - but man am I glad I hung in there! Just wanted to pass that little tid-bit along to all of those out there now going through what I did. Hang in there - keep giving them information, without putting them on the defensive. It's hard - but it does pay off! Don't give up.

• hubert
    hubert

Dawn, Thanks for this encouraging post.

Hubert

• Dawn
    Dawn

You are very welcome!

I appreciated all of the support I got on this board when I joined many years back. Now I'm here in hopes to pass it on and help others.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I agree...my bro and I were in full force upo until out early twenties, and we are coming out of it! I am glad i am not bringing my kids up in it though.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Dawn,

You did a great job on your son, and he obviously appreciates it, I am pleased for you both.

I guess your anti - witness was more persuasive than his grandparents pro - witness, well done!

Linda

• jambon1
    jambon1

This post has really helped me today.

Thanks very much.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Just wanted to say Here Here. I am glad I left when my kids were little so they could have a normal childhood. My sister who is still a JW sends publications to my kids sometimes, and I have warned my kids all about the JWs and their lies. Basically I tell them not to hurt her feelings or say anything about me and my true feelings; but I show them how stupid the magazines are and tell them straight up that the JW information is NOT Biblical or Christian. Also I let them know that if they ever went to the JW church, they would be advised to shun their own mother and worldly friends and relatives. I think I have given them a lot of ammunition, and wish someone had warned me not to get involved with them when I was a teenager.

• bebu
    bebu

I can't imagine all the heartache that came before this, and all the anxiety when you realized he was buying into it.

That difficult background taught him an important lesson in discerning. He is certainly a wise young man!!!!

Takes after his mom, methinks.

bebu

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oh! I'm very happy for you.

I wish I could fast-forward to a few years from now and see if my anti-witness teachings will save my now 13 years old brother from ruining his life in this senseless religion...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit