A 'Good Con Man needs....'

by Gill 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

I was reading in 'The Times' yesterday about a clergy man found guilty of trying to get two ladies to sign over their estates to him in their wills.

The police found on his computer information on how to be a 'Good Conman'.

Apparantly a good conman needs only a little truth mixed in with lies to con anyone.

Is this how the WTBTS gets away with it?!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Yes Gill, that is how the wts gets away with it. They have a few truths, and the rest is bs, yet they get people to believe it all. Any would - be conman would learn a lot from associating with them.

A poster on another thread asked "would you eat a bucket full of shit for a few grains of corn?" Obviously, you wouldn't literally, but that's what people who accept wts doctrines do, in a spiritual sense anyway.

• Gill
    Gill

I'm actually have trouble, FDN, trying to think of any of their 'truths'.

Could be some of their quotes from academia, may sound a ring of truth. But, then they add their own twist of interpretation....I think that's when the trouble starts with them. Their on a 'mission' to make the lie truth and the truth a lie.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They are right about the pagan origins of Christmas and birthday celebrations, but that's from history books, not via some "divine light" from jehovah. It's quite difficult to think of anything from the bible itself that they interpret correctly. They've changed their doctrines far too often to really have any credibility left, yet so many still accept everything they say as from god.

They really are the best con men on the planet.

• Gill
    Gill

I think that the Scams for KH building and Assembly Hall building are incredible! They are constantly demanding money from the R and F to build totally unnecessary building and increase their holding in property investments!

Very clever conmen!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think the biggest and most effective con is mentioned on just about all their publications, or at least all the ones available to the general public. They invite anyone who shows the slightest interest to have a "free" home bible study, which is really a series of indoctrination sessions that has little to do with actually studying the bible.

It's free to start with, but everyone who falls for it counts the cost later.

• Gill
    Gill

The funny thing is, that when people point out to JWs that when you study with them, you don't study the Bible just Watchtower publications, they really can't accept it. Well and truly conned!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I heard that many times when I was a jw, and never accepted it. It only occurred to me quite recently, in a conversation with Trev and a couple of his mates, both ex jws themselves, that none of us really had a bible study. We just went through a book full of wts doctrine, with the odd usually out of context scriptural reference to back up the point they were making.

It's the same at the wt study on a Sunday. Only a few of the cited scriptures are ever read, the important stuff to them is what the society is saying in the wt. It's all about getting people indoctrinated as quicky and efficiently as possible, and becoming another wts slave, an unpaid book and magazine distributor.

I try at times to figure out why, at 21 and having just gained a degree, that I fell for all that. I haven't worked it out yet, and I'm not sure I ever will.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Personally, if the Watchtower, Bull Shit and Tract Society (WTBSTS) told me that the sun was shining, I'd call for a weather report before I'd believe it.

• Gill
    Gill

Linda - They must have just caught you 'at the right time!' Perhaps you were vulnerable and looking for some easy answers.

As a born in JW, I never understood what made anyone choose to join the JWs....ever.

I think they're just tooooo clever for some people and appearances, which is something they are preoccupied with, are what conmen concentrate on. That' why they have to wear suits and ties for the men and males, and stupid skirts for women. It's all appearances as that's what works for any con to suceed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit