Things we were persuaded to believe

by iamfreenow 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restrangled
    restrangled

You are talking of "deeper things: I will refer to a life long career which I was denied and will give you my experience.

When I was 16 I trained and competed to be a trainer in the ballroom dancing field. I won and started Teaching. This was my dream and I taught many people.

Some of the men I trained were, flat footed, slow etc.and one of the worst showed up on TV as a competitive dancer,

I was furious. His name was Eddy and you may have seen him. I will let you know this...My mother wanted me to quit as this was not what Jehovah wanted and I could do it in the new system which was coming about the time I graduated.

Since I was at home I had to quit.

r

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    My mother wanted me to quit as this was not what Jehovah wanted and I could do it in the new system which was coming about the time I graduated.

Since I was at home I had to quit.

That's awful restrangled. You were denied a potentially great career in something you really wanted to do because "jehovah didn't want you to do it".

I guess you're not alone in that, but it is very sad that so many people have been denied reaching their full potential, career - wise by the odd beliefs of this authoritarian little sect. They really do have a lot to answer for.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I have never heard of the explanation of the 1,600 furlongs as a real distance before. Does anyone have the Finished Mystery Book to confirm this? How absurd!! Sounds like the measurements of the pyramids leading to 1914 to me!!!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Quandry, I got this from one of the Quotes sites:

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/1_600_furlongs.html

The Finished Mystery 1926 edition, p 230

“By the space of a thousand and [six] TWO hundred furlongs.--

A stadium is 606 ¾ English ft,; 1200 stadii are, mi., 137.9

The work on this volume was done in Scranton, Pa. As fast as it was completed it was sent to the Bethel. Half of the work was done at an average distance of 5 blocks from the Lackawanna station and the other half at a distance of 25 blocks. Blocks in Scranton are 10 to the mile. Hence the average distance to the station is 15 blocks, or 1.5 mi.

Official Railway Guide time table distance Scranton to Hoboken Terminal, 133.0 mi.

New York City Engineer's official distance Hoboken to the Bethel, via Barclay Street Ferry, Fulton Street and Fulton Ferry, 8,850, 4,950, 2,540 and 1,460 feet respectively, or a total of 3.4 mi.

Shortest distance from place where the winepress was trodden by the Feet Members of the Lord, Whose Guidance and help alone made this volume possible. mi., 137.9

You are right, it is absurd. No wonder it doesn't get mentioned nowadays. I'd be embarassed, telling anyone this stuff.

• badboy
    badboy

WAS'T IT COLIN WOODWORTH WHO CAME UP WITH BEHEMOTH=STEAM TRAIN EXPLAINION?

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The whole King of the North/South crap. I was at the book study earlier this year and remember thinking that there is no way that anyone could take their explanation in the Daniel book seriously. When I later downloaded a December, 1924 Golden Age, I discovered that they then believed that the ships of Kittim of "Daniel 11:29-45 refers to Napoleon and his career" instead of the time of WW I. They went on to say: "Admiral Nelson defeated the French squadron in Aboukir Bay, August, 1798, 'at the time appointed'; and this defeat so grieved Napoleon that he shortly afterward returned to France, as foretold. No historian has better delineated Napoleon than did Daniel in verses 36-45."
    Of course, they were making it all up as they went all along. No inspiration. No special hot-line to God. Just religious fiction.
    Dave

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The thing that irritated me was the way that every event in Daniel seems to have the answer, "1919". They needn't print any other words on the page as that is the answer to every question. When was the FDS inspected? When did the preaching work become revived? Blah blah blah.

It's so apparent that Rutherford and his zealots were justifying thier break with the rest of the Bible students that it is laughable, no, shameful, that they engaged in such self promotion.

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit