"Kingdom Hall Quickbuilds are only possible with God's Holy Spirit"

by under_believer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

This is what you hear every time there's a part on the Kingdom Hall construction program. They're only possible because God's Holy Spirit blesses the work. Otherwise, what is accomplished would be physically impossible.
    This bit of superstition and mysticism is blatant and obvious, but many Witnesses have no problem believing it, and stating it in public for all to hear. The lengths they are willing to go to, so that they can keep the Holy Spirit on the proceedings, is interesting to say the least.
    Enter Bill (note: name has been changed to protect my anonymity). Bill's situation is very close to mine, in ways that I don't want to describe, but suffice to say that I am 100% sure of everything I'm about to relate, having observed almost all of it firsthand.
    Bill was "raised in the truth" by devout but somewhat lenient parents. Though they fervently believe in the Society, they have relaxed standards in some areas.
    When Bill was 22 years old, he got married to a nice Witness girl from another congregation. She bore him a child. Then she had an affair. Bill was understandably upset, and went into a depression spiral which culminated in him committing "fornication" and being disfellowshipped. Bill is also a very stubborn individual, and decided at this time that what he did was by no means grounds for having his family refuse to invite him to dinner. A surreal period of on-again, off-again relations with his parents and siblings starts. The parents will still talk to him, watch his kid, let their kids (his siblings) go over to his house, etc, but won't eat with him and won't invite him to congregation functions, etc.
    20 years go by.
    Bill has gone through a terrible time. He's gotten married twice more, and both women have left him, one leaving her daughter (his stepdaughter) in his care. Is Bill just a terrible husband, or does he make spectacularly poor choices in women? Hard to tell at this point. When you see him, his permanently fixed facial expression is glowering, sullen, and tragic, as though someone just killed the last in a series of murdered puppies belonging to him.
    He's now on his fourth woman. She meets his mother and father, still devout JW's, and actually starts to study the Watchtower with his mother! He is understandably nonplussed, but he apparently loves this latest lady. She "progresses" to the point where she is regularly attending meetings and going in field service. At this point she lays it on the line: If you want in my pants, you are going to have to marry me. If you want to marry me, you're going to have to get reinstated.
    Bill gets reinstated. 20 years of no association with the Witnesses. Six months of going to the meetings, sitting in the back with his new woman, and meeting with the elders to tell them that he made a mistake, all those years ago. But they pay off and the announcement comes. After the meeting, all the usual smiles, welcome back, etc. He and his wife are married the next week.
    Bill goes to meetings for about a month with his new bride. Then his father, an elder, now very elderly and somewhat daft, invites him to a Quick Build Kingdom Hall. You may see where this is going at this point.
    An aside about Bill: He's an entrepreneur, a very successful business owner, an accomplished craftsman in his trade, and probably more skillful than 90% of the general population. He would be an asset on any construction project.
    Bill and his father show up at the site, ready to go. They walk out, as planned, to Bill's father's assigned area (he was, for years, a union craftsman, now retired). After they are there for a few minutes, one of the site overseers walks up.
    Turns out that someone who knows Bill and his father was also there at the site that day, and noticed them, and talked to the overseers. They ask Bill and his father to leave the site.
    You see, Witnesses believe that if anyone who is still "on restrictions" i.e. recently reinstated, aren't good enough to help out at Kingdom Hall builds. While they will happily take Bill's filthy money to help out with the Worldwide Work and the Kingdom Hall Construction, Bill's actual time and expertise (of infinitely more value) is worthless to them.
    They do this for two reasons: One, they believe that this kind of service is a privilege, a reward to be reserved for those who are "spiritually approved." Two, they honestly and truly believe that the Holy Spirit will flee the scene if it's not completely spiritually pure.
    Once, they asked my wife to leave just such a site because her shirt was too revealing.
    The story, unfortunately, doesn't end happily (I guess depending on your perspective.)
    Bill, sensing the obvious hypocrisy and rightly deeply offended, has never been back to the meetings since. His marriage is going very badly and he is more depressed than ever.
    Bill's Dad took most of the blame for the fiasco.
    Bill's Mom is very sad that her son is, after all that, still not going to be in the New Order.
    And I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

• skyking
    skyking

Privilege of the holy spirit my A$$ My partner in business whom by the was is very religious, his group builds very nice homes for their members in only a two day weekend. I am talking 2000 sq ft homes with all a personal needs. The grouop only has 30 members. This impresses me far more than a quick build by the BORG ever has. I have been part of several quick builds locally and all it takes is team work.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i hope your friend finds someone that makes him happy (and doesnt take them home to his parents)

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

If Holy Spirit is present, why do some of the workers still suffer injuries? I knew a brother who worked on a quickbuild in Sugarland, Texas. He fell and broke his arm badly enough that it could not be set, but required surgery and a screw to hold it together while the bones knitted. Where was Holy Spirit then?

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

I went to so many quick builds as a crazy teenager. My sis and I worked in the kitchen with our gramps. We saw it all while we served the 'brothers' breakfast, lunch and dinner. Holy spirit my ass. Just a bunch of macho male egos flying around everywhere trying to be the big man in charge.
    But the view was nice.

• sspo
    sspo

Is the Holy Spirit with other churches? When you talk to hundreds of other individuals from other denominations, they ALL claim that God's spirit is doing miracle with their churches and members.

Can the JW's explian that.

By the way BIN LADIN also claims that God is on his side, especially when he was successful in knocking down the TWIN TOWERS.

• done4good
    done4good

For anyone familiar with the 80/20 rule, it's more like a 95/5 rule on quick builds. Roughly 5 percent of the workers, do 95 percent of the work. I worked RBC for several years, and did 3 renovations without RBC. There was a small "core" of skilled brothers that actually knew what we were doing, and did most of the work. Many times, it was a matter of "re-doing" much of the work done by the unskilled help. This meant many late nights away from family, time off from work, etc. Holy spirit my a$$.

j

• elliej
    elliej

First, there was nothing quick about my congregations quick build, we were out of a hall for at least 2 months and when we did get in, the quality was pretty crappy. Second, Ty Pennington and his crew do more in one week, so do they have holy spirit too? My father in law has many Amish neighbors, they do a sight better than the JWs, too, for what its worth.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The "Watchtower" asks for "volunteers" to build their Kingdom Halls, don't they? Well, so do these people. They can usually build a structure in about a week and they actually give you something back. A tax write off for reasonable expenses. What does the Watchtower give its members? Does this mean that these people also have God's Holy Spirit? ************************************************************************************************** http://www.fellowship.ca/quickbuild/ We need volunteers!

Skilled in a building trade? Want to use some muscle on a new church site? Want to experience a short term team ministry without leaving Canada? Then Quickbuild is for you! Sign up for our volunteer mailing list to keep informed!

Upcoming Projects
    • No Projects

Recent Projects

Lake Echo
    - Sept 2005

Caledon
    - Sept-Oct 2005

Here’s what we do.

Quickbuild assists new churches in erecting a first building. Once a church has been approved for a Quickbuild, the Quickbuild Committee does the preliminary work involved in site preparation. Then a small army of volunteer trades people, skilled handymen, and labourers descend on the site for a one week building blitz.

Under the direction of a qualified site superintendent, the building quickly takes shape. At the end of one week enough work has been done to enable the congregation to have their first service in the new building. Imagine their excitement and joy!

Quickbuild needs all building trades including framers, brick/block layers, drywallers, electricians, plumbers, etc. Many of our volunteers are skilled handymen. General labourers are needed as well. Men and women are welcome to participate.

Here’s how it works.

When we have a project (usually one each year) you will receive notification. If you wish to participate you return the registration form and the skills inventory form. Volunteers must cover all travel, accommodation (there are often billets at no cost), and personal expenses. An income tax receipt will be issued for all legitimate expenses. All meals are provided on site at no cost to the volunteer.

If you are interested in being part of this practical hands-on ministry, we want to hear from you. Sign up for our mailing list and we’ll be happy to send you information on the next project!

Nevada-

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    You see, Witnesses believe that if anyone who is still "on restrictions" i.e. recently reinstated, aren't good enough to help out at Kingdom Hall builds. While they will happily take Bill's filthy money to help out with the Worldwide Work and the Kingdom Hall Construction, Bill's actual time and expertise (of infinitely more value) is worthless to them.

They do this for two reasons: One, they believe that this kind of service is a privilege, a reward to be reserved for those who are "spiritually approved." Two, they honestly and truly believe that the Holy Spirit will flee the scene if it's not completely spiritually pure.

Yes, and I know a volcano goddess who won't accept the sacrifice if the girl isn't a virgin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit