Another Quote Worth Noting

by Outaservice 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

THE WATCHTOWER----April 1st, (April Fools Day ) 1990.) page 20, paragraph #22

"...............Jehovah's Witnesses have proven throughout the years to be hard-

working, sober, thrifty and God-fearing citizens." Similarly, the Italian newspaper

LA STAMPA said: "They do not dodge taxes or seek to evade inconvenient laws

for their own profit.

They don't????? I thought that is why they're (the magazine & books) are offered free (on a contribution of course) as they do not want to pay any sales tax in the USA. Not all countries have free literature!

Well, afterall it was 'April's Fools Day'!

Outaservice

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    sober

I've known a few who were'nt sober either.

• Spectre
    Spectre

And "thrifty" so they can contribute more, eh?

• Mary
    Mary
    "...............Jehovah's Witnesses have proven throughout the years to be hardworking, sober, thrifty and God-fearing citizens." Similarly, the Italian newspaper LA STAMPA said: "They do not dodge taxes or seek to evade inconvenient laws for their own profit.

Sober? Obviously the writers of La Stampa never knew too many Witnesses.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    They don't????? I thought that is why they're (the magazine & books) are offered free (on a contribution of course) as they do not want to pay any sales tax in the USA. Not all countries have free literature!

There is one thing about this that most people fail to realize. If religious organizations and businesses were required to pay income taxes, the WTS could very easily handle this by simply raising the prices. No big deal.

The problem comes in the fact that the WTS denies any direct relationship with individual JWs or congregations. What this means is that each and every individual JW will have to form his/her own business for the purpose of selling WTS publications. The JWs would also have to handle their own accounting, taxes and tax filings. Basically the WTS would be left with a shit load of incompetent boobs who will inevitably screw up their taxes and accounting papers to the extent that it would draw the attention of the IRS and other government offices. It would turn into a humiliating nightmare for "Jehover's Organization".

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The JW's I knew in the 70's in Ohio used to drink a lot, myself included. Thats what we did for entertainment.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Perhaps "sober" and "thrifty" are translated to perscription drug addicted and selfish

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit