Is this new Light?

by sandy 15 Replies latest jw friends

• sandy
    sandy

Or just something I never really knew?

Today at the KH my brother gave the PT. He said that while Jesus was praying to God just before his arrest he was praying that he die in a different situation.

Accroding to the info in the PT Jesus did not want to die like a common criminal for fear it would bring shame on God's name.

Have the witnesses always believed this. Is it actually said in the bible or are they reading between the lines? I read the few verses in Matthew and did not come to that conclusion.

Just curious.

• Highlander
    Highlander

hmm that's a new one to me.

In the past it was always taught that Jesus was under a lot of stress and anxiety regarding his impending death and was praying to jehovah about it. There was a point about how

someone can sweat blood if they are under enough stress. I believe this was mentioned in the bible too.

There was no mention about wanting to die in a different manner. I might be wrong, but I think jesus just didn't want to die at all and was stressed out, but ultimately

submitted to jehovah's will while praying to him.

• sandy
    sandy

Hi HL, that what I thought too. I thought that that was the ultimate test and proved that perfect man could submit and obey God. That Jesus was stressed, frightened and still submitted to God's will.

• MichaelT
    MichaelT

I so wish they would just focus on what Jesus was trying to preach. Love and Humility and Faith Paitience. Both needed to enter into Gods kingdom. I get, got so tired of them trying to figure out exactly what and when and how and who God was going to use and do, I just left. This is just another example. Who cares JW'S, who cares. The important part is that He did what God asked of Him Satan was proven wrong, now we must wait. Using our tiny little Bible as a guide book on how to live our life so that we can not only benifit from Jesus's and Gods sacrafice, but also prove satan wrong along with Jesus. I am sorry I didn't answer your question, but knowing Jesus if he did pray not to die that way it would have been for his Fathers sake.

We know so little about God and the time before and in the future. Too much thinking makes things complicated and confusing. I find this true of all religions not just the jw's. Love,Humility,Paitience,Faith.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Some had thought the "load" he prayed to have removed was his need to die. That wouldn't make sense. He came to die, (they say). The explanition that he didn't want to die as a blasphemer makes perfect sense. Here he's the WORD, the champion of God and he is to die with this tag on him? Ew.

I don't give a fudge either way. This has been the teaching for many years now, at least since 1985. Not new. Just new to you... I bet it doesn't keep you up nights either.

W.Once

• freetosee
    freetosee

My recollection of this is, when Jesus prayed "to let the cup pass" the question raised was, did he loose faith in the night he was sweating blood? So to show that it was not a lack of faith the explanation is he didn’t want to bring reproach upon Jehovah’s name through dieing as a criminal. This is not new light. fts

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

No, it is not new light:
    *** gt chap. 117 Agony in the Garden *** (Greatest Man Book 1991)

Going a little way forward, Jesus drops to the ground and with his face to the ground begins earnestly praying: “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet, not as I will, but as you will.” What does he mean? Why is he “deeply grieved, even to death”? Is he backing down from his decision to die and provide the ransom?

Not at all! Jesus is not appealing to be spared from death. Even the thought of avoiding a sacrificial death, once suggested by Peter, is repugnant to him. Rather, he is in agony because he fears that the way he will soon die—as a despicable criminal—will bring reproach upon his Father’s name. He now senses that in a few hours he is going to be impaled upon a stake as the worst kind of person—a blasphemer against God! This is what sorely troubles him.

One of the best things you can do is get the WT Library on CD ROM and install it on your computer. I've got the 2005 edition.
    Dave

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

How do we know he actually felt and said those words. The apostles were asleep, no one witnessed this. What is written years later in a book is hearsay information.

Blueblades

• xjwms
    xjwms

This is new to me

Was a scripture used to support this?

• sandy
    sandy

Okay, it is not new light. Good to know.

Though their reasoning on this does sound reasonable I don't think they should teach it as if it is fact.

Maybe Jesus really was afraid to be tortured and killed. Maybe he was asking JAH if there was another way for him to die and he was saying if possible please let me die in a different manner.

My brother from the stage rambled on about this as if it were an absolute fact not just a possiblity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit