How can we make good decisions, when we can't see into the future?

by DavidChristopher 12 Replies latest jw friends

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Its been said that experience is the best teacher. And you can't gain experience without taking some risks. So, if you take risks, make sure they are calculated risks, i.e. don't risk anything you can't afford to lose. You will win some, lose some, but your experience will grow, and if you pay attention, you will learn what works and what doesn't work. If you don't have experience in a particular area, draw on the experience of others who DO have experience in that area.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

The Biblical idea : the ability to see future consequences of present moment decisions = wisdom and disernment . Thus an eagle symbolizes wisdom because it can see far. Older men ( grey headedness) having learned by experience can see consequences way off in the distance thus they symbolize wisdom. There is something to this but it takes careful observation of the outcomes of both mistakes and successes. A way to speed up the process is to observe everything all day long and see what it all means in terms of how life works. Solomon did this with insects and plants and people. That is what is meant by the proverb that " True wisdm itself keeps crying aloud in the very street." Proverbs 1:20 , you observe everything everywhere. The books of Proverbs and Ecclesiates are collections of these observations. This also is the wisdom of Taoism and of Zen Buddhism because there is only one wisdom. It is sometimes expressed by poets and artists also. The writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson are loaded with this type of observing . Over time one gain an understanding of how life really works and to most of us it is much different than we thought, especially with regard to human behavior.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Hi DC,
    Do some research beforehand, ask advice from people who know, then take your best shot. In time, most bad decisions are amusing to look back on. Like that time my husband and I decided to build a small sailboat using instructions I found in a housekeeping magazine ........... BAD decision!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit