Aposta-Mag!

by Kristofer 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

So I've pondered the idea of making a one-time publication like the Awake! magazine which educates the reader on JW doctrine, the brief history, false prophecy, biblical defense and an exposure of changing doctrines, cover-ups and lies. It would include a list of website links to keep the mag brief and they could go to sites for more indepth research. Then following the same field work the congregation does and passing one out to every household.
    I know you might say that this is too much work (which it is..) or that THAT much time and mind shouldn't be paid to The Org...
    Somehow, though, I can't help but think of the immense satisfcation that would be had in knowing that every person a JW approached on field service had knowledge of the group and the tools to respond to them. I can imagine the hilarity of JW's running away from doorsteps with their hands flailing in the air thinking the entire neighborhood has gone Apostate!
    Your thoughts?
    Has this been done before? It seems like it would have been.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Sounds like a great project, why don't you start putting one together and maybe several posters may want to add a section.

• Arthur
    Arthur

This is indeed a good idea. I think it would be useful for those who have family members who are studying, or looking into the JWs. However, the JWs simply aren't very relevant to most people. To most people, JWs are an oddity, or a irritation to be brushed off. Many people do not have the incentive to educate themselves about the Witnesses because they already view them as a silly religion. For example, I personally have no desire to do any in-depth investigation into the Church of Scientology because I already know that L. Ron Hubbard was a nutball.

So, don't be disappointed if many in the public don't show much interest. I still say go for it; however, trying to distribute this type of magazine to all households the same way the Awake magazine is; would cost millions of dollars. A more cost-effective method might be to sell copies of it exclusively to churches, and non-profit organizations while waiving the copyrights. You could encourage them to make photocopies of it and to distribute it freely to their congregants, and friends.

Another more cost-effective alternative might be to create an online magazine. Many of the major magazines and newspapers offer online subscriptions to readers instead of them receiving actual issues in the mail. You could send out mass mailings avertising the online magazine; and offer an annual subscription. Or, you could send out mass mailings advertising the online magazine that can be read freely. You could make your money through offering ad space on the website, or by setting up the magazine service as a non-profit organization; and soliciting tax-deductible donations to the public.

You will want to look into all of the legal aspects of publishing information on a major religion especially when it involves using their own publications. If you are charging for the magazine, this will raise some legal issues. A good law firm which specializes in representing the publishing industry should be consulted before the ground work begins, so that you can possibly avoid unecessary litigation that could put you out of business.

• heathen
    heathen

I thought that was what this site was doing .... maybe you should just try to promote websites like this one and save yourself a fortune and alot of time .

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

You know it would be even more awesome if you could make them in time for the October campain about false religion... And place them in late September, so everyone will have them to counteract the campain program. You could just leave them with your co-workers or nearby neighbors... And tell them to save the for a little while to show to the witness who will be harrassing them all October

If you make them as a three or four page magazine, you would simply have to post the picture here and everyone could print them out and staple them together themselves. Even I would be willing to leave some laying around in public areas if I get the chance.

I agree that other than these special campains, people probably don't notice witnessess much, but they would probably be happy to have something intelligent to say to them when they do come around. Right?

• esw1966
    esw1966

It's funny...

I LOVE the idea of exposing them and waking up those sleepers at the hall!

I'm focused on trying to get my 3 daughters, 13, 11, and 8, out of there! Then I think about my dad and my sister.

I've thought that creating some sort of podcast about the subject could be interesting. I have heard xjwcatholic, not a fan yet, but I listen at times.

I've thought that podcasts are getting very popular and if one was done well, balanced and informative, that it could get many listeners. Even jw's! Maybe creating something that would lure them into listening without coming out as an attack, but luring them into questioning. Getting them to start thinking on their own without them thinking they are listening to 'apostate' material.

Whole communities are being created through podcasting!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Somehow, though, I can't help but think of the immense satisfcation that would be had in knowing that every person a JW approached on field service had knowledge of the group and the tools to respond to them. I can imagine the hilarity of JW's running away from doorsteps with their hands flailing in the air thinking the entire neighborhood has gone Apostate!

Your thoughts?

Everybody needs something to do to make their life interesting. If this is your hobby or avocation go for it. I doubt every person that a JW approaches will ever recieve your 1 time Awake deal as nothing has ever been marketed that well. And even if you gave everyone in a certain area your piece of litterature only a percentage would read it. This applies to anything. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Those are my thoughts which you asked for. On a positive note. If that is your dream at the present time follow it and good luck. Shoot for the stars and end up on the moon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit