(true) God

by elatwra 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• elatwra
    elatwra

ha-'elohim = (definite) article ha + elohim, meaning "god(s)". Literally, then, "the G/god(s)"
    Ok im feeling a little dense this morning so bear with me as I am trying to understand hebrew. Ha+elohim means both the god and the gods, it could be both singular and plural. Am I getting this right?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

elatwra,

Ha+elohim means both the god and the gods, it could be both singular and plural. Am I getting this right?

Exactly. Only the context can tell. If there is a verb and/or adjective agreeing with either the singular or plural it is clear which is meant. If there is not it is ambiguous (at least formally).

• Inkie
    Inkie

The NWT does indeed put the word "true" in parentheses before the word God in its version to denote "Jehovah" as we all know; however, if I remember correctly (and I think I do), nowhere in the NWT is there ever mentioned a "false god"--only "false idols." A god is a god is a god regardless of whether that god is Jehovah, His Son, Satan, or any of the other multitudinous gods. The Hebrew text when it is referencing Jehovah calls Him "the God." The Hebrew text also references other gods, but never calls them "false."

--Inkie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit