The Clergy vs. Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Outaservice 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

After I left the Organization, one of the things that surprised me the most, was the Clergy of Christendom and their view of Jehovah's Witnesses. I thought as a JW, we were the 'center' of their attention, and they not only hated us, but were afraid of all the things we published about them.

Nothing could have been farther from the truth! Most Ministers hardly knew anything about Witnesses. You couldn't hardly get one mad at a JW, and some would not let you speak about them in their respective churches because some felt they were actually a good religion.

Quite a few viewed them as a novelty, certainly felt no threat because of their existence, and for the most part didn't have a clue what they believed. They also never wasted their time reading the WATCHTOWER & AWAKE, nor had any interest in doing so. A lot of JW's by the way don't read them either!

Of course, back in the 30's & 40's if a JW pulled up a sound car in front of a church and blasted them during their services, I suppose a few of the clergy noticed that. But today?

Have any of you had similiar experiences with the clergy? Notice, you active JW's today, these people are not out to get you!

Outaservice (but still counting my time!)

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes I am surprised when I speak to Pastors ,Ministers, Priests, They show real love for the witness.Are shocked at some of the beliefs( Jesus is a small god, women not allowed to pray,are not that interested( pity) in them as they veiw them as a mixed up people. They allow us to give our testimony to encourage their congregation to help the next JW that knocks on their door...

• garybuss
    garybuss

Ya mean they pulled this bad boy in front of a church and let er rip?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Gary...

that "vehicle" reminds me of Oscar Myers WEINERMOBILE.....

• Gordy
    Gordy
    After I left the Organization, one of the things that surprised me the most, was the Clergy of Christendom and their view of Jehovah's Witnesses.; I thought as a JW, we were the 'center' of their attention, and they not only hated us, but were afraid of all the things we published about them.

Never mind the Clergy of Christendom. Not even the ordinary member of their congregations gives the JW's a thought. Just recently a member of the church I attend was telling me she worked with a JW, and wanted information on them. So I gave her some she could look at. When I saw her again she said she had no idea about some of the things they believed. Things like no Trinity, no Hell, no immortality of the soul, she didn't realise JW's didn't believe these things. The only thing she knew was that they didn't take blood.

When you consider the JW's are always boasting about how they "publish the good news" etc, all the millions of pieces of literature they have printed. All the hours spent going from door to door, over the past 100+ years. Yet the average person still has no idea what they believe.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Gordy you hit the nail right on the head

• VM44
    VM44

Gary,

That is a great picture, another exhibit in the Gallery of Bizarro Watchtower History!

Is a larger version of it available? This is something I want to keep.

--VM44

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I don't think people/clergy are afraid of JWs and what they teach. I do think that like everything, there are people/clergy who are obessed w/ JWs. I have friends whose father is a Rabbi. He knows my history and EVERY TIME I go to their parents' house for anything, he brings up the religion. I generally do not care, but when he thinks he is teaching me something about the religion and I get irritated. The last time I was there, he was trying to explain to me the origin of the name Jehovah. Considering I studied all religions after I left as well as theology, I was so put out. I let him finish and I blew my top and stormed out. I refuse to go over to their house any more because the Rabbi is obessed w/ JWs and what they teach and I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM.

• heathen
    heathen

Most anybody I've ever talked to about the j-dubs is certain they are a cult and silly me would argue they aren't , I think all religion are cults now . The WTBTS itself claims the catholic church attacked them without cause so there seems to be the history of violence from them against the the watchtower . In other countries the WTBTS is the most descriminated against ,even violently today . I imagine that would be very annoying to have a loud speaker like that come around in front of a church >LOL I wonder why they don't do that anymore or even use of a megaphone . The apostles not only did some D2D work but would actually visit populated areas and start preaching .

• garybuss
    garybuss

VM, I got that picture that size years ago from Don Cameron. Maybe Don has a larger version.

His web page says his email is
    camryn at bluefrog dot com

http://www.captivesofaconcept.com/index_for_site_all.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit