Did Rutherford have Russell liquidated?

by VM44 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    A. H. MacMillan intercepted the telegram at the Brooklyn Bethel home and wired J. F. Rutherford, then at a convention in Oakland, Maryland: “The old man is dead." Rutherford came immediately to Brooklyn and took over.

When I read such stuff, I have learned (as a former reader of Watchtower) that there is so much more that isn't being told. I imagine there was much more to a telegram than a single cold sentence and I know it wasn't a matter of Rutherford traveling to Brooklyn and immediately taking over.

JFR is described later as "Custodian of Pastor Russell’s last will and testament." If that was assigned to him by Russell, who perhaps forgot to take the assignment back from him, JFR would have to be notified and come to Bethel.

The story is so complicated in legal manuevers, but is clear that it wasn't a simple handing off of the throne to the designated heir.

• designs
    designs

My mother and grandparents were at the last public talk Russell gave in Los Angeles before his train ride back east. They mentioned he sat down at times during the lecture. A lot of infighting followed. My mother was close to the two Bible Students who started the Frank and Earnest Radio program, she left Rutherford's group in 1928, my grandparents stayed on.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

What is on Russell's death certificate as cause?

We should have the body exhumed and tested. Maybe it will be preserved under the magical pyramid.

It is now known that King George V was "eased on his way" and the telegram sent read "the old man is dead"

The fact that Macmillan admits he INTERCEPTED the telegram shows that it was not addressed to him, and therefore committed a crime. However he obviously expected a telegram to arrive and made sure he was there to prevent it getting to the addressee.

The whole thing stinks like a mediaeval Vatican plot. How could I ever have trusted these crooks?

HB

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Is there a resource to investigate Rutherfords take over ? I know much has been written about it here and elsewhere, but is there an authoritative source ?

I think if we had authenticated proof of his shenanigans it would cast even more doubt on the "1919 choosing by Jesus" claim.

• VM44
    VM44

Here is a thesis that was written on the subject of Judge Rutherfordsucceeding Russell.

http://home.broadpark.no/~jhauglan/rutherford.htm

The Successor Problem –

A focused biography of Joseph Rutherford,

2 nd leader for the Jehovah’s Witnesses, 1916-1942

Jan S. Haugland September 26, 2000

• designs
    designs

It is thought he died from worsening cystitus or diverticulitis.

• VM44
    VM44

Here is the thread that RR started several years ago in which a letter is mentioned about CTR being poisoned.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/78134/1/Pastor-Russell-murdered

However, the image of the letter is no longer online!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is an early letter discussing Russell's death:

I think Russell had been in declining health...I'm not sure what the details were. But it is interesting that he acted so unusually before going on his trip ("Just before his departure on the last trip, he did something we have never before known him to do"), taking preparations to make sure the work continued.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

VM44....I have the image, I'll see if I can repost it.

ETA: Ugh, that thread is a total mess.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Reading Menta Sturgeon's account of Russell's last days, it sounds like Russell had worsening cystitis and thus avoided food and drink, and experienced severe dehydration and starvation while pushing himself past the point of exhaustion with insomnia.

October 16: "He often told us of late that he scarcely slept at all, was awake every hour of the night, and thought pretty much day and night...He always ate sparingly and would carefully note the effect of everything he ate and drank. Frequently would he divide his portion with his companion".

October 18: "There was no dining car on the train, and neither could we secure anything to eat on account of uncertainties. It was at this point that a box of peanut butter sandwiches, which had been given to us by a thoughtful friend in Brooklyn, came in just right. It made our breakfast, and afterwards our lunch". "All of this occurred after a few hours' rest during the previous night and with but little to eat".

October 22: "Boarding the train at Dallas that night, October 22d, Brother Russell was tired, and his head was aching. Some medicine was taken, and he retired".

October 23: "Upon arriving in Galveston the next morning, he was not well by any means....There were nine brethren who took dinner with us that day at the Hotel Galvez; and he answered their questions,and seemed to enjoy the fellowship and the meal. This proved to be the last meal that Brother Russell ate. Hereafter it was to be a little fruit juice, a swallow or two of a soft-boiled egg, or something like that." (So for eight days thereafter, Russell did not eat an actual meal)

October 24: "Travelling all night and reaching the home of Sister Frost Tuesday morning, it was not surprising to find him in much physical pain. His labors were telling on him more than ever. His overworked body began to break at its weakest point. Cystitis was becoming acute....He appreciated the kind offer [to see a doctor], but indicated that he would not need a physician's services....The choicest of fruit was placed just outside his door, but he did not touch it." "He went to dinner with us, talked pleasantly to everyone, and was as humorous as usual; but he ate nothing, although the dinner was excellent."

October 25: "The next morning he was a sick man, although he was not ready to admit it. He kept to his bed all day Wednesday. While he lay there in his berth, I took a seat on the couch, near him. I watched every move he made, stroked his head, and thought what a stupendous amount of work that brain had done. Taking his soft, gentle right hand and letting it rest in the palm of my left hand, I gently stroked it with my right...We then talked about his physical condition...Every move he made and every word he uttered only made me think the deeper, and yet I could hardly think of Brother Russell's life coming to a close...I answered his question by saying, 'Since we have done everything we know, and you are getting weaker all the time--your vitality is being drained while you are eating nothing to replenish it--I think that if we return to Brooklyn, you will find something there that will put you on your feet again' ".

October 26: "It was difficult to give him a drink of water without spilling it except we first raised him."

October 29: "Our train was an hour or more late in arriving in Los Angeles on Sunday morning, October 29th, and we had had nothing to eat. The brethren were rejoied to see us, but their countenances changed when they saw our dear Brother Russell. They saw that he was weak, but they knew not how sick he was. Besides, he would not yet admit that he was really sick. By ten o'clock we had reached the hotel, and I asked him if I could nto get him something to eat. He said he was not hungry and asked me to suggest something. This I did. He consented to my getting something, but only tasted a little of it. Upon bringing it to him, he asked if I had had my breakfast; and when I answered, no, he wanted to know why. I told him that it was becuase I wanted him to have his first. He said he would nto eat his until I had first had my breakfast."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit