Ever question why Roman and Greek myth, had similarities to Christianity?

by free2beme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Of course, new religions always compete with the estublished ones. ; The question is if there is any substance to so called miricles from the bible. ; I don't know. ; But christianity was equally accepted by all layers of society of that time which would indicate that there was something unusual about it all; again to what extent I don't know. ; Today, we don't have problems accpeting gurus from India that ;seem to be sometimes performing feets we can't find explanation for, right ;away. ; I would say Jesus was equally very good at what he was doing otherwise he would not have been crussified as a threat. ; I mean think about it, christians of that times were really dying in arenas, not very likely it they were not convinced into something quite real to them; ; given that many were not just illiterate slaves must have meant that Jesus was very good at what he was doing.

I think you make an excellent point about the gurus. That's something I've been wondering about for quite some time. It's on my list of things to learn .

People die unfortunately for causes all the time that later turn out to be void. Very literate and educated people become JW's all the time. So, I don't know if that's a sustainable point. Still, I see the point you're making.

Thx for answering the question.

I was reading up on Egyptian mythology a few months back and was amazed at the similarity between Egyptian myth and the OT. The story of Horus reminded me of Moses a great deal.

• Terry
    Terry

When I was in prison over the neutrality issue (1967-1969) there was a real genius of a brother who was what we then called a congregation overseer. He had "advanced" bible study (i.e. study the Society's publications) with accelerated learning and Socratic methods. (i.e. He'd call on you out of the blue and ask questions to put you on the spot.) His name was Tollie Padgett. (He went on to be, along with his wife, a Missionary when he was released from incarceration.)

His (Tollie's) explanation for the link between pagan myth and Christianity was quite clever. It goes something like this:

The angels who rebelled in heaven aligned themselves with Satan in opposing Jehovah's kingdom under his son. Their intent and purpose became that of diluting any possibility that this Kingdom could succeed by using a number of methods at their disposal. The most obvious method was creating a substitute which would siphon off mankind's need for rescue.

These demonic angels, under Satan, did not know exactly how Jehovah would inaugurate the Kingdom when the time came to launch the project. It was, after all, a "sacred secret".

Consequently, with intimate knowledge of Jehovah's "methodology" and standards of justice, the demons set about trying to guess at how it might work and perpetrate "getting the jump" on a false, substitute one of their own.

The pantheon of Greek "gods" was, therefore, a pantheon of fallen angels. The mischief and often unpredictable wrath of these demonic overlords necessitated constant appeasements such as human sacrifice.

An observance (by the demons) of how Jehovah responded to Abram's willing sacrifice of his son, Isaac tipped the balance. The hero demi-god who must die was born in myth.

Etc etc.

In other words, Tollie's explanation makes all of mythology a demonic false front to usurp or hijack the actual workings of Jehovah's own plan of salvation. What the demons could not figure out was the part of God's government whereby He uses humans as co-judges and co-regents (144,000).

I only bring this up to demonstrate a couple of points.

The human imagination is more than up to the task of explaining ANYTHING! Moreover, that imaginative "something" can be made rational-sounding and linked to biblical scenario.

Reality is this. In ancient times, the human mind was a marketplace. One tribe or culture rubbed against a foreign one and ideas were exchanged. The best of both worlds blended. This served to RESHAPE what once was into a more "workable" theory of how the world worked.

Among all ancient peoples there was a sort of religious "truce". Many disperate religions co-existed side by side. Only the Jews were radical enough to get their hump up about rubbing shoulders with contrary viewpoints.

But, being absorbed into vast and superior cultures (such as Persion, Babylonian and Greek/Roman) did the job anyway. Jews were transmuted against their will.

The "Old" testament demonstrates this glaringly. The redactors of scripture had to retro-fit contradictory versions of the same ancient stories side by side when the Babylonian diaspora was regathered into a patchwork nationality.

So called "doublets" about Creation, Noah, Abraham, etc. are nothing more than BEFORE and AFTER demonstrations of pagan influences.

There was never any such thing as PURE RELIGION in any national group because of the constant sifting and intermixing in the religious marketplace of ideas.

Nothing is so astoundingly influential as a "better" idea or a better story.

The most obvious example of INFLUENCE is the ROMAN EMPIRE'S love affair with all things GREEK!

The most powerful and long-lived empire on the face of planet earth was just a smitten carbon-copy of the Greek ethos, religion and culture renamed and modified.

This imprinting was as dynamic on Jews and Christians as it was on latter day immigrants who arrived on America's shores from European ethnicities and cultures. They became a cultural soup blended, seasoned and refined into something ELSE. History uses the term "melting pot".

Religion is the largest melting pot of all.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Terry

I remember that theory of demons preempting god and his 'revelations' to 'his people'. Funny that, the wt/bible god getting preempted by a rabble of pesky demons.

The rest of your post was a good description of the cross cultural/religious pollinating process.

S

• free2beme
    free2beme

I once read a book that studied the idea that all religions, in one way or another, were influenced by the sun and the moon. That they added names to their heavenly lights and brought them into a religion to explain life and death. As time went on, these went into legends that passed on from tribe to tribe and were twisted in one way or another (much like the phone game) and different religions were born. When the Romans conquered the Greek nation, they liked their religion and ideas and took them on and twisted it a bit to be their own faith and basically tried to act like it was their religion. In their influence across the known world, they brought these ideas of Gods and Goddesses, as well as the miracles and so on. Many of the lands took these thoughts and added them to their own faith. That is why the Mediterranean myths, to which Christianity is one of them, have so much in common. Keep in mind, that the Asian nations, which were never connected to the Romans, have nothing in common with their religion.

As for historians saying they agree that Jesus existed. I have found that not to be the case, unless the historian is an admitted Christian. Otherwise, they are willing to admit that the history of the time shows that their were several "quote" messiahs appearing. In these men, was created a chain of one pure story that took several account and legends and made them into the Bible Cannon. Although, many of the thoughts in the "new Testament" have been found in books and writings that existed before the time of the Christ. Which shows the more, that the time period is an example of combining stories and not an actual event that focused on one man.

By nature, and it is human of us, we accept the myths of the religion we are in as facts and find humor in the myths of another religion. For example, how much faith do you put in Mohammad being and doing what he did? So, to defend the faith and claim that the myths are real and do not have anything in common with the other religions that existed in the region, is accepted and the Christian thing to do and should be expected.

• skyking
    skyking

I suggest everyone to read the book "The Jesus Mysteries" By Timothy Freke & Peter Gandy.

I read this book it is back up by reference proof in all it statements and I promise you if you read this book you will never see things the same again. the Gospels are actually Jewish adaptations of ancient Pagan myths of the dying and resurrecting godman Osiris-Dionysus. There have been many Jesus or God men in the past that are credited with the same life being born of a Virgin, Gods son, turning water into wine for his first miracle, had twelve followers, died on a stake or cross, resurrected on the third day, and will judge mankind at the future during his return.

Read the book and be reborn mentally and see how blind men of this world believe with out ever truly knowing the truth about Jesus and his life and the early first century church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit