The Awake Gets Worse, As Sycophants Rule ( 10/06)

by metatron 13 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

sycophant n. A self serving servile flatterer

You may remember that the Watchtower Society claimed that they dumped printing half the Awake issues to

put more emphasis on the Bible. Well, the latest (October) Awake features two full pages of "From Our Readers",

as "Watching the World" has been cut down to one page.

How many magazines do you know publish multiple pages of (in effect ) Self Praise?

The Awake editors apparently select a pile of letters telling them how great they and the Watchtower are -

and print them. If any magazine you subscribe to did this, what would you think? That they were being

run by a board of sycophants? Uncritical Yes men? Servile men who might just as well work for the North

Korea News and its "Dear Leader"?

Usually, they throw in one letter that critiques some minor technical point published, but other than that it

perpetuates the isolated ivory tower image that Jehovah's Witnesses love to deceive themselves with.

Everything is wonderful, don't you know? Jehovah is making loving provisions for his organization.

Anyone who says otherwise will be shunned or punished.

I have known of business management consultants who run in panic whenever they observe this sort of uncritical

self-fawning stuff. It screams to them that disaster is on the horizon.

metatron

• Genesis
    Genesis

I think you just have mistaken the word Sickophant,

Sickophant : A kind of mammal formed of a governing body and a empty head used to fart BS. The sickophant is usually found near Crooklyn. The Sickophant feed himself with flat bread and wine once a year.

Hey its friday :) Have a nice weekend folks !

Joff

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The Awake editors apparently select a pile of letters telling them how great they and the Watchtower are -

and print them.

Don't forget - that pile of letters probably didn't come in the mail. The source of the letters is most likely their own writing department.

W

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'd like to agree with you - however most mags over here - the women's mags at least have a page devoted to comments from readers where readers write in and say they were moved/hated/loved/laughed at articles in previous issues and the best letter gets a prize.

• Scully
    Scully
    How many magazines do you know publish multiple pages of (in effect ) Self Praise? The Awake editors apparently select a pile of letters telling them how great they and the Watchtower are - and print them. If any magazine you subscribe to did this, what would you think? That they were being run by a board of sycophants? Uncritical Yes men? Servile men who might just as well work for the North Korea News and its "Dear Leader"?

Even in more down-to-earth terms, whenever I meet someone who only talks about how great they are and how wonderful their life is and how crappy you are in comparison to them, I end up avoiding them like the plague.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06
    however most mags over here - the women's mags at least have a page devoted to comments from readers where readers write in and say they were moved/hated/loved/laughed at articles in previous issues and the best letter gets a prize.

That is correct, my wife's fav. woman mag has at least 1 page dedicated to that....BUT..it is also 190+ pages long and the letters sent are usually a fair mixture of praise and criticism.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

More shameless self-praise: first in the "don't murmur" article and now in the "From our readers" section. I think I've had enough disgust for the morning, excuse me.

Don't they know that he who exalts himself will be humbled?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Don't forget - that pile of letters probably didn't come in the mail. The source of the letters is most likely their own writing department.

Kind of like this planted question from reads so many moons ago...

• Gill
    Gill

Yes! Quite nauseating:

e.g

'I cried after reading Jason's story, not only because I was touched when I read of his ordeals but also because, as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I am so proud to have such a spiritual brother. From the article, I see the importance of preparing for trials, since time and unforseen circumstances can befall any of us. - T.A Hungary.

The fact that Jason spen his time immersed in personal study when he was well, and thus had a spiritual reserve to draw upon when he needed it, made me thingk. It strengthened my determination to be more zealous in my personal study of the Bible.

Y. M Japan

After readint the experience of Jason Stuart, all my problems seemed to become insignificant. I came to realise that Jehovah values the service we render to him according to our circumstances. I admire Jason's wife for her self sacrifice and her trust in Jehovah. This experience will always remain in my heart and will help me to face problems that arise in the furture. C R S Peru

HOE WOULD YOU ANSWER?

I am so excited about this new feature! We teach our grand children, and this will be a great supplement tot heir daily Bible reading and Awake articles that they read as part of their school assignments. Thank you for caring so much for the young ones.

B E United States

This feature is challenging, but when I figure out an answer, I'm really happy! Last night I spent the whole evening reading this page, it was so interesting. When I grow up I would like to help tmake this magazine so that others can learn about Jehovah!

D H United States.

I am eight years old. Our family used this page in our family study. We enjoy the research that we have to do. The 'Who Am I?' part can be hard, bu;t we like the challenge. Keep up the good work.

C W United States.

SELF HARMING

'This cannot possibly be!' That was my reaction upon seeing this article. I am 18 years old. I have been a self injurer. Pain helps me to suppress my emotions. Quite often I feel like tortuing myself, and I don't know how to battle those feelings. It was a big surprise to see this article. Tears welled up and I thanked Jehovah in prayer. Only in Jehovah's organization is it possible to find such comfort!

A P Russia

I see what you mean Metatron.

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe that these letters are made up by the fanciful minds making up the Writing Department.

Seriously, have you ever written to the Society praising them on an article? Do you know anybody who ever wrote in praising them on an article? I know I don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit