Was Simplification the Downfall of the Watchtower?

by NotBlind 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Notblind: I think much of this ‘simplification’, whether the WTS believed it or not, led to the malaise now glaringly obvious in the org. Now, I'm not talking about the mass exodus of people from the org, thanks to the internet. I'm talking about the apathy of those still in the congregations.

Right on!

garybuss: The Society apparently has a secret book called "How to sabotage a religion", and they follow the outline in the book closely.

I heartily agree. More power to them! After all, they haven't a clue how to wield it.

Elsewhere: Actually, I think it is the other way around.

I think it is a chicken-and-egg scenario. As enthusiasm wanes, services are cut back. As rewards for coming are reduced, enthusiasm and attendance drops further.

Meanwhile, effective churches "regularly examine themselves" to be even better:

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=Excerpt&ProductID=16

• bavman
    bavman

I don't think the Watchtower has scene it's downfall yet. They are far from dead. Even with all the losses they have endured they still have a very strong (brainwashed) core. Most of the active people who are dubs today never heard a piano play in the hall or sang out of a pink song book and they could care less if anyone feels bad about those losses.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I understand what you are saying, bavman. But I am comfortable with suggesting that the seeds for their eventual downfall started with the simplification. Then accelerated with the crack-down on the disfellowshipped.

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I stoppeed going when they stopped serving chips at the circuit assembly for 50p.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

So much of what has been said here is true. However, what seems to be lost is the fact that the WT$ proceeded with "simplification" for one reason only, and that is to isolate people. When you really think about "simplification" began when the GB instituted the Elder arrangement, and limited the Public Talks to only material given by the GB.

Last year I went to the DC in Long Beach. I walked in during the afternoon intermission, and what I saw was isolation. People used to eat together in the past. What I saw was families eating together. Now this is not necessarily a bad thing, however people were not walking and talking together. There was a lack of a sense of community. This is the pernicious goal of the WT$. The destruction of community.

Think about it. After your family, who were you closest to? Those in your CBS, right? How often did those get moved around? SO the J-Dubs garnered a sense of camaraderie from working at the Assemblies & Conventions. What happens? Simplification. Same thing with the quick-builds. There is nothing to build camaraderie within the Borg. This is going to be the downfall of the Borg, or as some has stated is a result of the downfall of the Borg.

The image that came to mind while reading these posts is that of a lonely Winston Smith looking at the picture of Big Brother after his time within the Ministry of Love. How he had learned to "love" the thing that had put him through the wringer. The J-Dubs love the thing that puts them through the physical, emotional & most importantly spiritual wringer. The thing that destroys their lives & loves.

The other thing that "simplification" does is create a group of people that are dependent on every word & instruction from Brooklyn. Think about it. Prior to the WT$ takeover through "simplification" who handled things? The local brothers. I am sure the real old timers could go back and point to other similar moves, but I think my point is made.

Control, isolation & dependancy. These are the three things that the WT$ wants.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Most of the active people who are dubs today never heard a piano play in the hall or sang out of a pink song book and they could care less if anyone feels bad about those losses.

That may be true, but I can't help wondering how these modern JW fluffballs will hold up when the heat is turned on and the world starts to hold them accountable.

Watching the TV coverage of the slimeball Jeffs, the "prophet" for the Fundamentalist LDS in Utah, I couldn't help thinking the dubs will someday get their 15 mins. in the spotlight.

Citizens watching the expose of this subMormon cult have to be experiencing revulsion at the revelations that this cult eschews education for its children, treats women as second class citizens, and reserves all power and privilege for the men in the organization. Sound familiar?

They're seeing that the cult teaches its adherents the laws of the land do not apply to them, that the wicked world and all its people will soon be destroyed by God because and that they systematically excommunicate children for disobeying their petty rules.

Dubs do all that, and I am pretty sure this would not "play" well on television.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm not sure whether the Watch Tower has failed as a business or not. I am sure the Watch Tower Society and the Jehovah's Witness people have failed me and they have failed my family.
    In my opinion the Jehovah's Witnesses have failed as a religion. They may succeed as a social club, as a hate group, or as an event sponsoring real estate development and construction company.
    They worship the Society, their only subject is themselves and how all Bible texts, all history, and how all current events apply to them alone.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I do fondly remember working in the assembly and the icy cold vanilla pudding. . .now they are supposed to schlep in their own food, along with their kids, babies, books and everything else?? Geez. Sounds like such fun. From what I am reading and my overall impression of the organization, I figure before long they will skip the conventions and simply have some Bethel types do some talks and ask people to donate for a dvd of the 'convention'. That would REALLY simplify things, eh? Just THINK how much people pay for DVDs retail!!!I am imagining the encouragement to donate generously-then reminders of how much they are saving by not having to travel to the convention, stay in hotels, take time off work. Just think of the possibilities for a short sighted organization to count those chickens. . .

• willyloman
    willyloman
    much they are saving by not having to travel to the convention, stay in hotels, take time off work. Just think of the possibilities

They could certainly stage the district convention in one location and tape or broadcast the event to be shown at the KH - but then they'd lost the substantial cash flow that donations at the conventions represent. They don't care if it costs you several hundred dollars to get there, as long as you write that check for $25, $50 or whatever and respond to the "there's a deficit of $5,653.41" announcement that will be made on Sunday.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Now, I'm not talking about the mass exodus of people from the org, thanks to the Internet. I'm talking about the apathy of those still in the congregations.

I could not have said it as well, and this echoes the thoughts of family who are still active dubs. When we get together everybody reminisces about the old days when people worked at assemblies, and there was a real community spirit. That is how shy youngsters like us got to know people.

One other thing missed is the spirit of travelling together to conventions . The modern affluence and car ownership has killed off most of the coaches . It is just not the same as travelling together.

I once wrote to the Society before I left . I told them many of these points. I received a condescending reply

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit