Was Simplification the Downfall of the Watchtower?

by NotBlind 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

A thought I had daydreaming while at the recent convention –

‘Old timers’ in the organization often reminisce about the way the WTS was many years ago. Attending a convention meant (a) getting hot meals, (b) orchestra music before and during sessions, and (c) two, three, or even four dramas.

Huge numbers of Witnesses were required to staff such arrangements, and they invested thousands of hours just to prepare food, music, and drama ‘entertainment’ for these events. The time and effort investment was probably a reason for discontinuing these features of the assemblies, as I think they themselves said a few times.

Orchestra music and hot meals at conventions ended in 1978 in the USA, and the number of dramas were reduced one by one until each convention featured only one in 1991. Food service stopped altogether by 1995 in the USA.

Slowly, these and other characteristics of the organization began to be ‘simplified’ away.

Many JW’s who weren’t quite as zealous in the ‘preaching’ work served the cong in other ways – by cooking and selling food at assemblies, rehearsing and playing music (both at assemblies and at KH’s), acting in dramas, and other assembly-related work. I believe most of these JW’s rightly viewed such activities as part of their ‘worship’ and ‘sacred service’ to God. I imagine many of them volunteered for these activities so they didn’t have to sit and listen to the program for 4+ days, viewing it as a ‘worthy distraction.’

As time passed, though, and simplification sucked the life out of Witness activities, there was nothing else to do but sit and listen to the program. Witnesses who had been used to using their talents, at least to some extent, to serve their religion, now had nothing else to do but sit down, go out in service, listen to the canned music, eat the canned food, watch the canned dramas, and read the paperback novels.

I think much of this ‘simplification’, whether the WTS believed it or not, led to the malaise now glaringly obvious in the org.

Now, I'm not talking about the mass exodus of people from the org, thanks to the internet. I'm talking about the apathy of those still in the congregations.

Every convention is the same as the year before – different title, same schtick. Witnesses don’t even seem to get excited about the releases at the conventions anymore – routine applause, but you can’t really muster up any excitement over a paperback novel which is really just a revision of something they printed 20 or 30 years ago - a paperback novel which any reputable book publishing house would call a 'pamphlet'.

Simplification of the quality of books has been a blow to the pride of many JW’s in their organization. I remember that when the “Greatest Man” book was released in 1991, many boasted at how beautiful the book would look in their libraries, and its giftworthy appearance was a ‘selling point’ in the field. They said something similar about the “Proclaimers" book in 93. The content may have been questionable, but it sure did look nice on the shelf, right next to the 30-year collection of bound volumes inherited from dear old Aunt Louise.

When was the last time you saw a group of JW’s get excited over a new book or talk about the quality of the publication itself? Probably the best thing I can say about the Revelation book gathering dust on my bookshelf is that it withstood being studied three times at the book study. I certainly couldn’t say that about the new paperback Revelation books; half the pages will be falling out by the time they get to Chapter 5.

I guess my question is - Was this part of the internal downfall? I think the internet has brought many out of the WT. But did the 'oversimplification of everything' contribute to the apathy of those still in the org?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

You are not blind, you are astute.

It was a real blow to the publishers to begin handing out books that looked like some Salvation Army or Alcoholics Anon book. Took the steam out of some. I stopped publishing the Greed News just about the time the books became paperbacks. It wasn't the books that motivated me to fade, it just seemed to coincide with my timing. I don't much like the paperbacks. I think the main thing is, the rank and file want to know where the money is going if its not into quality publications. That is probably the biggest concern they may have about the reduction in quality.

Nice topic, thanks. I look forward to the comments of others.

W.Once

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Nah, I don't think the fact that the JWs have become cheaper than they were to begin w/ has changed people's minds about being in the religion. I think it is the fact that you can only be told the same thing for so long. 1914/1918/1925, etc., you can only hear "no one knows the day nor the hour" and then them saying it is coming "soon" ... the lack of love and concern ... the fire and brimstone religious theory ...

I could go on, but simplification I don't think is one of them. Actually we loved the fact that they did not feed us anymore, because that gave us an excuse to go out to eat. Of course, I was already gone by the time they started "discouraging" people from leaving at lunch time.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    As time passed, though, and simplification sucked the life out of Witness activities, there was nothing else to do but sit and listen to the program. Witnesses who had been used to using their talents, at least to some extent, to serve their religion, now had nothing else to do but sit down, go out in service, listen to the canned music, eat the canned food, watch the canned dramas, and read the paperback novels.

I think much of this ‘simplification’, whether the WTS believed it or not, led to the malaise now glaringly obvious in the org.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

• Mary
    Mary
    Many JW’s who weren’t quite as zealous in the ‘preaching’ work served the cong in other ways – by cooking and selling food at assemblies, rehearsing and playing music (both at assemblies and at KH’s), acting in dramas, and other assembly-related work. I believe most of these JW’s rightly viewed such activities as part of their ‘worship’ and ‘sacred service’ to God. I imagine many of them volunteered for these activities so they didn’t have to sit and listen to the program for 4+ days, viewing it as a ‘worthy distraction.’

True enough. I remember having to participate in all the preparations for the meals because my best friend's father was always in charge. We thought it was great to sit in the kitchen, peeling potatoes, carrots, etc. It was a wonderful distraction from the bullshit being spewed out from the platform. On a logical note, it was also a damn good way to come up with the cha-ching for covering the costs of the assemblies. The supplies were bought cheap, prepared at virtually no cost (thanks to free labour) and sold for a reasonable price. Any profit was put towards the mortgage of the assembly hall or the electric bill. It was a perfectly sound arrangment that benefited everyone and I'm of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I knew it would screw everything up in the long run. And I was right. To this day, I'm amazed that the dummies who run the show at Brooklyn couldn't foresee the disaster of cutting Food Services to the R&F.

As time passed, though, and simplification sucked the life out of Witness activities, there was nothing else to do but sit and listen to the program. Witnesses who had been used to using their talents, at least to some extent, to serve their religion, now had nothing else to do but sit down, go out in service, listen to the canned music, eat the canned food, watch the canned dramas, and read the paperback novels. I think much of this ‘simplification’, whether the WTS believed it or not, led to the malaise now glaringly obvious in the org.

It's certainly created A LOT of problems that's for sure. Getting rid of Food Services at the assemblies AND going to the "donation" method of paying for the literature in order to avoid paying taxes were two absolutely stupid moves on their part and it's created a cash flow problem that the Organization has never experienced before. From a purely "business" point of view, the smartest thing they could do is to go back to where the publishers had to pay for the literature, and to bring Food Services back to the assemblies.

As for the "Old Timers" feeling rather down about all this, well, you're absolutely right. I see many Old Timers from my old Hall who are very depressed because the New System isn't here yet, even though they were promised otherwise. Many of them never saved for retirement, paid into pensions or did anything worthwhile, because they were assured that they'd be petting a lion in paradise by now. And does the Governing Body apologize for screwing people over like this? Of course not. Instead, they still feebly are trying to promote the idea that The End is "imminent"........I feel sorry for the Old Timers, because they were fed a big lie but seeing as they've invested their whole lives in this religion, it's too late for very many of them to change their beliefs now.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Excellent post.

So was this the equivalent of the Soviet Union's policy of Perestoika?

Reforms intended to consolidate their position resulting in unintended consequences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perestroika

Slim

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Society apparently has a secret book called "How to sabotage a religion", and they follow the outline in the book closely.
    They not only took away the musicians who played the music of my youth, they took away the music of my youth. No group of Jehovah's Witnesses in the world will ever play a song I know. In my opinion, that's a huge mistake.
    Teachings that change from one unprovable delusion to an different unprovable delusion accomplished nothing. An example of that is the change in the judging of the "sheep". What did they accomplish by changing that? Nothing, and that's a huge mistake.
    The Society sabotages the cells called congregations. When I was a kid we had one cell for the whole city. Then we built a new Kingdom Hall and the group grew and it wasn't long until the group was divided into two groups, east unit and west unit. Now growth stagnated because we lost the benefit of our work.
    We shared the new Kingdom Hall and the groups began wrangling over things like ownership of the Hall to meeting times. There was strife between the two cells from day one.
    A cell can never enjoy financial success, or an increase in numbers because as soon as they get an increase in numbers and a good cash reserve a circuit manager comes through and takes over ownership of the cell. He'll take the cash, divide the group, and maybe make them give up their meeting place.
    No congregation can ever be successful and grow and prosper as long as it is associated with the Watch Tower Corporation doing business as the Christian Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Much of the "simplification" has actually been the Headquarters taking more and more control over all minute details. No Kingdom Halls area allowed to have their music played on a real piano anymore - everything is pre-recorded. Kingdom Halls look and feel more like dentist's offices than they do a place of worship.

The headquarters is micro-managing every little thing so much, that the organization is loosing it's human feel more and more. Everything has become so sterile and business-like, that it seems to feel less and less Christian-like.

It doesn't feel like serving God, as much as it feels like being a member of a multi-level marketing company.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Good post and right on cue for me!

Last weekend I purchased copies of 'The Harp of God" and "Government" and have been looking through them since.

From a never-a-witness viewpoint, if I had read those books when they were first published, I would have detected a seemingly plausible argument for what they were teaching and quite possibly bought into it. The books of more recent times don't cut much on those old ones, they just don't seem to believe that they have intelligent readership.

Another thing I notice between the old and the new is that they were much less hate filled, especially toward the other Christian denominations (they acknowledged there were true believers in mainstream churches - the original 'Great Crowd'/Samson class), again something which might appeal to me as there was NO IMMEDIATE PRESSURE to leave one's own church and join them - it was just 'the better way'.

emo - of the Samson class!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Actually, I think it is the other way around. I don't think the reduced assembly programs and publications caused JWs to loose interest, I think these reductions came as a result of JWs loosing interest.

Putting together elaborate conventions with orchestras, meal services and multiple dramas requires a LOT of work from a LOT of people. I used to be one of those behind-the-scenes people and over the years I noticed that I, and others around me, were growing tired of all the work. Very gradually over the years it seemed to become more of a burden and tiresome.

Sure, people tend to be charitable and giving, but you can only get people to give so much before they grow tired of it. An excellent example would be the evacuees from hurricane Katrina. At first lots of people from many cities were eager to help everyone who had to leave their homes. Now we are seeing in the news were entire cities are sick of all of the people and are actively asking them to leave!

A human can only give so much before they get tired and even resentful. I suspect this has happened to JWs over the years. They just don't want to give any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit