Who will cry PEACE & SECURITY?

by artcritic 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• belbab
    belbab

In the fall of 2001, when the UN scandal was breaking, Ciro Aucilino, who was one of the co-signers of the NGO/DPI with the UN, gave a talk to the faithful, in which he spoke at some length about Peace and Security. I wrote and open letter rebutting his arguments. It is posted here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/23389/1.ashx

I don't know where the transcript of his talk is, I think it is on Randy's site, Free Minds

I hope some of you go there. This subject needs to be brought up to date from time to time.

belbab

• Mary
    Mary

LMAO @ Britboy!!

I don't give a rat's ass if it's a "he" or a "she"----the point is moot. The question everyone should be asking is: Why didn't The End come when Peace and Security was declared right after World War II??

• artcritic
    artcritic

Funky

Why not do your own reserch on this subject, is it "HE" or "SHE" that cry PEACE? If UN is a SHE who will attack the woman? Thanks for your comments funky.

AC

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The point of this passage is to counter doubts starting to arise because of the passage of time by saying that there would be no sign to warn opposers and "they" would be caught unawares as if robbed in the night by a thief or suddenly without warning struck with birth pains. The doubters would comfortibly feel safe and at peace when they get the big surprise. Quite humourously the WTS has interpreted the passage AS A SIGN!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The "just as" part tells you it's an analogy

Gumby is right again!

The outworn comparison of the labor pains (which usually apply to women, dont they?) is applied to a lot of situations and persons in the Bible -- to Christ's death in Acts 2:24 (same Greek word ôdin), to the disciples in John 16:20ff.

And peacefulpete is quite right about the meaning of the passage. "When they say, 'there is peace and security'" doesn't point to a particular "event," but to the absence of any remarkable event or "sign". Anytime (as a thief in the night, v. 2) the "day" may come.

• gumby
    gumby

Gumby is right again!

• r51785
    r51785

The Israelites cried "Peace and Security" when the Roman armies besieging Jerusalem withdrew. The sudden destruction came when those Roman armies came back. r51785 of the Preterist class

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    The Israelites cried "Peace and Security" when the Roman armies besieging Jerusalem withdrew. The sudden destruction came when those Roman armies came back.

Are you sure that would matter a lot to the Thessalonians?

• sinis
    sinis

Since Thess was written before the gospels is it safe to say that Paul was referring to what Matthew, Mark, and Luke later refer to as the "signs" of christs presence - eating a drinking and marrying, and took no note?

• gumby
    gumby
    The Israelites cried "Peace and Security" when the Roman armies besieging Jerusalem withdrew. The sudden destruction came when those Roman armies came back.
    Are you sure that would matter a lot to the Thessalonians?

LMAO....oh man, the Narkster makes a good point! *nark lifts up his pistol and blows the smoke out of the barrell* Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit