climate change/global warming

by BlackSwan of Memphis 26 Replies latest social current

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok well this is one of those topics that's pretty much common knowledge.

The earth is warming, the ice is melting and sea levels are rising.

a) Do you think we'll be able to take care of it before it becomes irreversible?

b) Do you make decisions in your life that reflect a concern for this issue and/or other environmentalist issues?

Me? I try to make sure we recycle and turn off what isn't being used. I'm trying to keep up on some of the politics that revolve around this.

• badboy
    badboy

I RECYCLE!

• heathen
    heathen

I think the only way to make things better is to get off the fossil fuels all together . I saw that show on 20/20 last night where they predict it the #1 likely cause of the end of the world as we know it . If we keep poluting like we do we will not even have clean water in the next decade . All we can do is conserve when we can until the rich and greedy decide to invest in our future by cleaning up the planet .

• moshe
    moshe

The 1% of the worlds population that is wealthy will never have to sacrifice or suffer. They will pass laws eventually to lower CO2 emissions when the ocean starts lapping at their oceanfront mansions. These laws will have a drastic affect on the other 99%. The rich will still have their own cars, but working stiffs will all have to give up their cars and use public transportation (owned by the rich). It's neccessary to avoid drastic climate changes. Sorry to bring this bad news to you.

• Warlock
    Warlock

No one can stop a naturally occuring cycle.

Warlock

• Forscher
    Forscher

Hello.
    I don't buy into the current global warming being man made. We just emerged from what is called the "little ice age" during the mid to late 19th century. So warming is to be expected. However, I've pretty consistently argued here that I do not consider the lack of evidence for the current "global warming" fad an excuse to continue with things the way they are. Current dependence on Hydrocarbon based fuels is short-sighted IMHO, and will doom us to an economic collapse in the long run if nothing else. We need to get off that dependence!
    Forscher

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I RECYCLE!

;I think the only way to make things better is to get off the fossil fuels all together ;. I saw that show on 20/20 last night where they predict it the #1 likely cause of the end of the world as we know it . If we keep poluting like we do we will not even have clean water in the next decade . All we can do is conserve when we can until the rich and greedy decide to invest in our future by cleaning up the planet .

Yeah, the fossil fuels seem to be a pretty big issue. I was just reading somewhere that the deforestation plays a pretty big part. And from what I understand, the deforestation is a result of the demand for land for cattle that are used for meat for fast food chains. Now, don't flame me anyone, I readily admit that I totally do not remember where I read that and right here, right now I can't verify it, but it was something I've read. The issue that arises with nixing the fossil fuels altogether is an issue because what would happen economically as a result? That's what I wonder.

The 1% of the worlds population that is wealthy will never have to sacrifice or suffer. They will pass laws eventually to lower CO2 emissions when the ocean starts lapping at their oceanfront mansions. These laws will have a drastic affect on the other 99%. The rich will still have their own cars, but working stiffs ; will all have to give up their cars and use public transportation (owned by the rich). It's neccessary to avoid drastic climate changes. Sorry to bring this bad news to you.

Ah, believe me, Moshe, I've considered this and unfortunately I think you're right. But what other options are there?

No one can stop a naturally occuring cycle.

Warlock

I don't buy into the current global warming being man made. We just emerged from what is called the "little ice age" during the mid to late 19th century. So warming is to be expected. However, I've pretty consistently argued here that I do not consider the lack of evidence for the current "global warming" fad an excuse to continue with things the way they are. Current dependence on Hydrocarbon based fuels is short-sighted IMHO, and will doom us to an economic collapse in the long run if nothing else. We need to get off that dependence!

I think that the point has been made that while the warming Is a naturally occuring cycle, we're just speeding things up. The little ice age is something I've looked into a little. I got the impression that what caused the little ice age was a pretty nasty volcanic eruption that wreaked some havoc on the atmosphere. (The little info I have is a result of a documentary on THC and a brief look on the internet.)

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I think that the point has been made that while the warming Is a naturally occuring cycle, we're just speeding things up.

BlackSwan,

I don't mean to argue, but there is no way to prove it. If you look at the hottest recorded temps on record, you will see many of them were in the 1920's and 30's and the hottest of the hot have yet to be broken. I don't have the world population records for those times, but there were ALOT less people, cars, and industry.

Warlock

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    I don't have the world population records for those times, but there were ALOT less people, cars, and industry.

yeah, but there were no regulations either back the... no emission controll on cars, and alot of industrialization (trains)that we have improved on since then...

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There is no question we are dumping more C02 into the atmosphere than it has ever (or at least for many hundreds of thousands of years) had.

There is also no debate that additional C02 acts kind of like a "blanket" around the earth (as does methane).

Earth's climate is an incredibly complex science, but the above statements are both simple, and true. You figure it out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit