Why no e-mail and PDF?

by JamesBrian 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JamesBrian
    JamesBrian

I am new to the group, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed.

I study comparitive religion, so my query is not so much anti-JW as it trying to understand.

On the JW site - both Watchtower and JW-Media, no JW magazines, brochures (save for some fact sheets from JW Media) are available in PDF. Comparitively to other religions, they're more than happy to offer PDF brochures, magazines, tracts, etc., to get the word out. Moreover, there is no e-mail contact whatsoever - they are implicite that they don't repond to e-mail - except for the "want to learn more" page, presumably for recruitment.

I assume this is a thoughtout premeditated strategy related to distribution or containment, rather than simply not embracing technology. Anyone have further insight?

Cheers, James

• under_believer
    under_believer

JamesBrian, welcome to the board.
    The email thing is interesting--most likely the correctly realize that the mailbox would just be inundated with spam, idiots, and rabid ex-JW's with nothing for them to respond to, sincerely interested ones who would be better served by face to face contact (and there are a million Witnesses in the US who'd love to provide that) and current Witnesses with doctrinal points. And then there's the question of the credibility of responses--if you got an email from the Society waxing philosophic on Zipporah and her evil knife, for example, you'd never know for sure that it was legit.
    As far as PDF goes I highly doubt anybody in Brooklyn who is in a position to do something about it has any idea what it is or that it even exists. Remember this is the same organization that is still referring to all apostate presence everywhere on the internet as "apostate chat rooms."

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi James, and welcome to the forum.

The jws prefer to send a couple of people to see you rather than contact you by email. Thet will offer you the opportunity to study one of their publications with them. Thet call it a bible study, but it isn't, as what happens is you would read through each paragraph in the book they are using and answer a review quetion after each one, with the bible scarcely referred to, and then usually out of context.

It isn't in any way a bible study, but as an indoctrination technique it is possibly without equal.

• headmath
    headmath

Here we have the organization that Jehoover is using to save mankind and warn of impending doom and destruction yet the ungodly masses can't find an email address to the watchtower. There isn't even an online discussion forum where the ungodly can communicate with the governing body Why not?

They are a cult, that's why not

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Jehovah god, Almighty sovreign of the Universe, does not have access to a version of WordStar that understands the PDF format. Also, have you any idea how many angels it takes to arrange all those ones and zeros to create a binary file? The very fact that such a thing is even possible is proof that Christ Jesus has been ruling from the invisible heavens since 1914, more or less.

Cults do not welcome dialog.

They have no concern about your questions or doubts. You either accept the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society as the sole spokesmen of Jehovah's heavenly organization, or you do not. Getting involved with electro-mail (or whatever you call it) is something that Moses and Malachi abstained from, and so should we, lest we suffer the fate of Korah, who remains entombed in the bowels of tthe earf.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ NN.

James Brian, welcome. You'll fit right in here.

Lisa

Looks HOT in her ApostoBABE T-shirt Class

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

If one of Jehovah's Witnesses writes to Watchtower with any kind of question, it is reported back to the elders of their congregation. This is not a religion that relishes open communication with its members, let alone non-JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit