VOYEURS OF PHILOSOPHICAL DOOM

by Terry 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Rick and Ilsa loved each other; to me that was obvious. Rick gave up Ilsa so she could stay alive and fulfill her own destiny. This was a movie about sacrifice, something that today's generation seems to not understand.

Yes, voyeurs indeed are so many of the generation between 15 and 35 years of age . . .or even older.

Shut off the kid's TV and have them pick up litter . . .a little " hands on " may work wonders.

• Terry
    Terry
    How would you rather have had it? Interesting well writen post.

We're all time surfers catching the wave that comes; not the wave we desire! Best we can do is hang 10 and avoid the wipeout. Later, on the beach at midnight, in the hush of a million stars we convince ourselves the ride was worth it.

I wish my generation had been better informed about the reality of political dissent. You can't just be against something and quick to destroy without having something better already in place you can jump to. The failed political movements of the era (Libertarianism) demonstrate the chaos of wishful thinking. Cynicism is a paltry replacement for idealism when hope dies and the cold glare of helpless realism blinds us to our dreams. A lot of people can't stand where Bush has taken America, but, the "loyal" opposition has no ideas of its own. Not really. It is content to be against anything the Republicans are for and take the reins of power on that default alone. Not much of an alternative when the guy who takes the wheel can't drive either.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    He didn't sacrifice *love* because Ilsa didn't love him. She was willing to sacrifice the love of whats-his-name. I agree that his behavior served a greater purpose, but I don't follow your meaning about the IDEAL and complaint, etc.

Rick discovers a larger context for his love by giving this woman a better life with a more fulfilling purpose beside a man who makes a real difference in a world choked by Fascism. The IDEAL is the better love, the better purpose and the better world free of Hitler's ethos which those who opposed him could only achieve with real leadership.

Rick had lost his way until then. By seeing the Big Picture instead merely satisfying either his petty revenge or indulging his personal passion he was able to offer LOVE on a scale that mattered most. He had the letters of transit. He weighed his options and acted with idealism. In the movie he is called "sentimental". Blaine always says, "I don't stick my neck out for nobody." And he doesn't. He offers something for somebody; a positive act with far-reaching repercussions of benefit for all concerned. Yes, even himself. He now has a reason for self-esteem having exchanged bitterness for a demonstration of genuine concern for others. The perfect transaction as a businessman, a patriot and a lover.

• LDH
    LDH

Terry,

I'm all for voyuerism.

• Terry
    Terry
    Fineally a post from Terry that is not way way over my head!!!

I understand and agree

To be understood is the sweetest flower in the garden......

• Twitch
    Twitch
    To be understood is the sweetest flower in the garden......

'tis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit