Did 9-11 Change Your Life?

by Blueblades 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

On a crisp September morning nearly five years ago, terrorists hijacked four American airliners in a coordinated suicidal attack on America.

Within hours, thousands of Americans were dead, New York City's two tallest buildings were gone, the Pentagon in Washington was ripped open and a stunned America was watching helplessly - fearfully - as images from ground zero filled their TV. screens.

In the days weeks and months that followed, the events of 9-11 would change America in small and dramatic ways, from "news ribbons" that began to appear on TV. broadcasts to massive American military campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"9-11 changed everything" we said after the attacks. Five years later, American troops remind in Afghanistan and Iraq, the world trade center site is still a gaping hole in lower Manhattan, and you...? What about you?

Has your life changed because of 9-11? Did the collapse of the twin towers send shock waves that ripple still in the way you live, work or behave?

My story to follow your responses.

Blueblades

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

We were watching a 9/11 program on the National Geographic channel tonight and it's sparked several memories for me.

I was working nights back then (I usually got home aroun 2:00 am) and for some reason that morning I woke up, wide awake, at 8:00 (never happened before or since) and for some reason I immediately turned on the TV and literally within seconds saw the second plane hit the World Trade Center.

For people my age 9/11 is like the JFK assasination or Pearl Harbor; a moment in time when our world and reality gets turned upside down and nothing is the same afterward. I will always remember the unreality of that day, where I was and what I did. Now I know what it was like on November 22 or December 7.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, in the sense it convinced me how ill-prepared the US government and military were to protect people living in the US. After watching Flight 93, I was even more appalled at the lack of cooperation between the various governmental agencies.

I have been a government employee for many years with a long family history of government service. I am not ignorant to the lack of cooperation and communication. I could not believe the level of incompetence.

I do not think this is unique to the US either. Government is government and there is always that internal struggle for individual and/or party supremacy.

I sure hope it is better; I hope they have learned. On the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I knew they had not even in August 2005.

But I still realize I am more likely to die in a car accident tomorrow than in events like these.

Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No question - my boss asked my opinion about the world political scene before 9/11.

He kept on talking about "commie bastards etc". I said communists were not a threat to the world. He mocked me.

I told him China and India needed to be welcomed into World Tarde with open arms - larger world market, lower prices, India was a huge Democracy. He mocked me

I told him the biggest hreat to mankind and world security was Islamic Fundamentalism. He mocked me.

This took place on September 10th. Then September 11th occurred.

Now he actively seeks my opinion and TOTALLY respects it

• serendipity
    serendipity

Yes, it made me suspicious of any Middle Eastern man or one who wears a turban. I don't like jumping to conclusions solely based on ethnicity, but it happens now.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Yes. My office building is the second tallest in the city. We now have to have routine evacuation drills. I work on the second to the top floor. Let me assure you, by the time I am done going down all those stairs, my calves are kill'n me and the puppies are barking.

We are required to have ids where ever we go, which was never required before. You have to get buzzed into the lobby area of where I work. You cannot get access to the other floors w/o a pass key.

A friend of mine lost her father in the second tower that was hit. That was devastating because we were all in the board room watching the large screen t.v. as the second plane hit the tower and all she said in a very soft voice was "my father's in that building". What made it worse was for Halloween that year a lot of people dressed as Osama which was in very poor taste for those who experienced loss on that day. My GF went into therapy for years over the loss of her father. Her life and her families' lives changed greatly.

Because of having friends who live in Ireland, I was familiar w/ people who suffered at the hands of terrorists. Who were involved in a war that was not their own, but forced upon them.

I often wondered if vast terrorism would ever reach the US. If the radical groups here would turn on their own. I still wonder that. Terrorists are real and they can strike at any time at anyone regardless of what the issues are because according to them if you are not with them you are against them.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My Irish friend lost her cousin in the twin towers; he was on either the 96th or 98th floor. All they found of him was his heel bone!

• okie46
    okie46

I actually grew up in Queens, NY and my father did scaffolding on the WTC towers when it was built. I was living in Okie land and watching the news when the planes hit the towers. I called my mother and she and I both felt very emotional over it all. I didn't know whether to go to work or what to do, I didn't know if we were at war or what was going to happen. My step-mom in Queens, stood at the end of her street and watched them fall. I didn't know anyone personally that went through it but felt such an deep emotion of pain and agony for those who did and for my home city New York. The most poignant moment for me was when I realized that the strange siren/beeping noise we heard on the news when the towers fell, was the signals of the fallen firefighters going off after they had been trapped. Knowing those poor people were trapped and dying was horrifying to hear and I can not imagine what it was like for those who went through it and for the ones who actually saw it and for their survivors. It makes you realize that sometimes the worst things imaginable can happen. It does make me more aware of how I treat others, especially loved ones. I sometimes let my temper get the best of me, but I do try more to be kind to others and not worry about if someone gets in front of me in line or whatever. I also try to not leave loved ones with unkind words and always tell them I love them because it may be the last time they ever hear that from you.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

It has in my thought process changed my life. I don't feel secure and I also am a bit disillusioned with our government here. I feel so much for the families and the people left behind that jurt. I also am very proud of how NYC of all places...NYC!!...pulled together and became a brotherhoosd for a bit. Kind of makes one a bit proud of people and human nature. there were no Rodney King lootings as I hear it and people really have shown that we are not going to cower to such tactics.

I cant say a lot for our government, but as individuals I see people living different and I have seen some really hard people change after seeing that. It is qquite humbling when you see what these people have went through. I watched a film with a person that showed a man who had a son that was killed in the towers and he was mad. Then he wrote everwhere and asked that his son be put on a bomb that would be going to the terrorist. then he realized how he was duped as to the cause of the war and it was quite eye opening and interesting to see a man have to deal with his wrongness and shame and deal with the changed attitude on the goverment. I know I do not feel that we are as innocent as we were.

Lets face it, my generation has never seen anything like this here in the US and we have been made to be aware of where we stand in this world.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I know as a witness that you aren't supposed to put your trust in governments. But I think I still really felt "protected" in the USA. I felt safe from anything like this because of living in the world power. 9-11 helped me to see that all of that was an illusion. And I don't think I will ever feel that sense of security again. It made mr feel powerless and vunerable. Kind of like when I realized that I didn't have the absolute truth and I was going to grow old and die like everyone else. Both occassions were faith shattering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit