Scholars please on this NWT alteration 2 Peter 2:1

by Ade 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ade
    Ade

"new world translation"
    2 Peter 2:1
    However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among YOU. These very ones will quietly bring in destructive sects and will disown even the owner that bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves.

This is obviously in reference to Jesus Christ, as Jesus bought us the price being his blood.

The word rendered "Owner" in The NWT applies the usual lowness to Christ by the JW'S, as the word correctly rendered is Lord, Or Master "Absoloute Ruler" des-pot'-ace Strong number G1203. i personalyl dont see how the word "owner" can have been inserted, and is ( in my opinion ) an obviopus attempt to lower the role of Jesus.

in fact many even transate this part of the passage as "sovereign Lord"

?????? ?? 2

1e?e???t? de ?a? ?e?d?p??f?ta? e? t? ?a? ?? ?a? e? ?µ?? es??ta? ?e?d?d?das?a??? ??t??e? pa?e?sa???s?? a??ese?? ap??e?a? ?a? t?? a???asa?ta a?t??? ( desp?t?? - des-pot'-ace Strong number G1203 ) a????µe??? epa???te? ea?t??? ta????? ap??e?a?.

it seems a misuse of wording by the WTBTS to twist the bible in trends of their doctrine
    H113 Adon-Adon from an unused root ( meaning to rule ) , (controller human or divine) , meaning owner,Lord or Master
    G2935 ktay'-tore - meaning Owner :- possessor
    Had the above words been used in the text i would have understood their translation.

if any of you scholars have looked at this point, i would appreciate your input please.
    all the best -Ade

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

2 Peter 2 being essentially a rewriting of Jude, there is little doubt that Jesus is meant, since the original Jude 4 reads (those who) "deny our only Master and Lord (ton monon despotèn kai kurion hèmôn), Jesus Christ".

As to the common meaning of despotès as the master or owner of a slave, cf. Luke 2:29; 1 Timothy 6:1f; 2 Timothy 2:21; Titus 2:9; 1 Peter 2:18.

• Geronimo
    Geronimo

Ade, that's another thing. The NWT. I keep finding all these sneaky ways they've managed to rewrite the Bible! I already knew some of the ways, but here you've shown me a brand new example. Plus Narkissos has pointed out that this verse from Peter is originally from Jude! I looked these verses up, and also the words in Strong's. I still had my copy of the NWT until this morning. I threw it out. Thanks for another eye opener! G

• nutter
    nutter

This kind of posting is what causes many of the problems in the world. If all paths lead to God, then why does it matter what each other thinks or believes. Surely, God welcomes all his children. So why get hung up over the detail, and respect each others beliefs (and translations).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just to remove any ambiguity, I don't think the NWT is wrong in that case -- it only creates a pun which is not in the Greek text, "disowning the owner" (arneomay, "to deny," is not related to despotès, "master" or "owner"). But "Owner" or "Master" are acceptable renderings of despotès imo. Plus, all the WT references I have checked do apply this title to Jesus (e.g. the Insight Book, entry "Lord").

• Ade
    Ade

Hi Nutter, you posted ; This kind of posting is what causes many of the problems in the world. If all paths lead to God, then why does it matter what each other thinks or believes. Surely, God welcomes all his children. So why get hung up over the detail, and respect each others beliefs (and translations). Its a very interesting viewpoint, because the bible clearly states that not all paths do lead to God, so i cant personally agree with your reasoning.Also would you consider taking your driving test from a book that you know would cause you to fail ( IE: an innacurate book ) ?? An innacurate translation being put forth to push ones own doctrine upon people and blind them to the bible truths, if we condone this then what is the point even saying we are servants of God. i bought forth a valid point, you have retorted basically inulting my genuine arguement-place at a vote who is a trouble causer my friend, most will vote for your comment as being trouble causing not mine . Respectfully -Ade

• Ade
    Ade

Hi Nutter,
    you posted ; This kind of posting is what causes many of the problems in the world. If all paths lead to God, then why does it matter what each other thinks or believes. Surely, God welcomes all his children. So why get hung up over the detail, and respect each others beliefs (and translations).

Its a very interesting viewpoint, because the bible clearly states that not all paths do lead to God, so i cant personally agree with your reasoning.Also would you consider taking your driving test from a book that you know would cause you to fail ( IE: an innacurate book ) ??

An innacurate translation being put forth to push ones own doctrine upon people and blind them to the bible truths, if we condone this then what is the point even saying we are servants of God.

i bought forth a valid point, you have retorted basically inulting my genuine arguement-place at a vote who is a trouble causer my friend, most will vote for your comment as being trouble causing not mine .

• Ade
    Ade

Hi Narkissos,
    although we agree on most things , i believe that clearly in this case the "owner" has been translated as a removal of Jesus absolute power of the subjects he bought with his blood.

i AM NOT saying the NWT is a terrible translation, its just been "doctored" in places to fit comfortably with doctrine.

all the best
    Ade

• nutter
    nutter

Ade, Inaccuracy over translation is your opinion. Clearly others have suggested you may actually be incorrect. However, people have the right to believe whatever they want to. TV news is full of the symptoms of what happens when people start airing their disagreement with what other people count as valuable. Live and let live. Are you just another nutter?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Looking a bit more into the NWT, although I don't think "owner" is a mistranslation per se, I grant you that it is inconsistent with the rendering of despotès as "Sovereign Lord" in Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24; Revelation 6:10. Although the vocative form (despota, in the context of prayer) in those three instances echoes the LXX usage (Genesis 15:2 etc., standing for the Hebrew 'adonay [Yhwh]), in the first case and possibly in the second (cf. Acts 4:29) it misses the master / slave (doulos) relationship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit