This is just so sad

by troubled mind 23 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://communitydispatch.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/4/372

SAMHSA Announces New Suicide Hotline and Website

Jan 4, 2005, 21:39

Email this article

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) today announced the launch of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK. The national hotline is part of the National Suicide Prevention Initiative (NSPI)—a collaborative effort led by SAMHSA that incorporates the best practices and research findings in suicide prevention and intervention with the goal of reducing the incidence of suicide nationwide. In addition to the national hotline, a new website is being launched

www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

In the United States , suicide currently is the 11th leading cause of death among all age groups, accounting for approximately 30,000 deaths annually. More than 100 crisis centers in 39 states currently participate in the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. SAMHSA is committed to working with state and local organizations, such as the Mental Health Association of New York City, the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, and community crisis centers, to expand the availability of suicide prevention and intervention services.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is funded by a 3-year $6.6 million grant from SAMHSA’s Center for Mental Health Services, which has been awarded to the Mental Health Association of New York City and its partners—the National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, Columbia University and Rutgers University. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a network of local crisis centers located in communities across the country that are committed to suicide prevention. Callers to the hotline will receive suicide prevention counseling from trained staff at the closest certified crisis center in the network. A nation-wide public education campaign to raise awareness about suicide and the national hotline is under development.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's mission is to provide immediate assistance to individuals in suicidal crisis by connecting them to the nearest available suicide prevention and mental health service provider through a toll-free telephone number—1-800-273-TALK (8255). It is the only national suicide prevention and intervention telephone resource funded by the Federal Government.

Currently, the network is comprised of over 100 local crisis centers from around the country. Each crisis center serves the needs of their community by providing a necessary resource to individuals in suicidal crisis seeking help. The phones are answered by trained crisis counselors whose duty it is to listen and provide that help.

Approximately 30,000 suicide deaths occur in this country annually. Crisis centers, like the ones in this network, are a first line of defense against reducing the number of suicides and minimizing the impact that suicide has on the community. This Web site is designed to provide crisis centers with resources to help them carry out their missions of reducing the impact of suicide on this Nation.

*If you are in suicidal crisis and are in need of immediate help, please dial: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

Since I have just lost a brother to suicide...a month ago, I am probably a bit sensitive and over reactive.

Also, my daughter had two drug overdoses last summer.

Forty percent of children of parents that commit suicide commit suicide themselves.......no matter what kind of love and support system they have.

My stepfather commited suicide as well.

This girls support system is crucial. She needs help for her depression. I just don't take this kind of stuff lightly anymore.

I was my daughters lifeline and it was exhausting at best. Keep yourself supported and be there for her......make sure you always reassure here you are there for her. Get her little gifts and cards.

Please try to get her help for her depression. Even without the threat of suicide, depression is something that needs treatment.

• Sacchiel
    Sacchiel

thanks for really caring for her. She will soon see the empty shell that is known as the Watchtower.

• nutter
    nutter

She was probably a nutter. Im a nutter. My application was refused for leaving too many scattered peanut shells on the floor. Are you a nutter too? You must be or you would not be writing responses here. The nutter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit