What's the official JW Spin on Rev.19:1

by PopeOfEruke 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Does anyone know the official JW spin on Revelation 19:1 which says:

REV 19:1- After these things I heard what was as a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven.

This plainly identifies the great crowd being in heaven. How do the JW's dodge this plainly written scripture?

And how do they explain the fact that Rev 19:1 is not included in the Appendix of the green NWT under the heading "Great Crowd"? The Appendix quotes Rev: 19:4 but skip Rev 19:1... How much ink would it have cost to print Rev. 19:1,4?

Obviously another example of the leadership trying to keep the R & F in the dark, but how do they spin this for JW's who do investigate the Bible a bit deeper?

Pope

• Terry
    Terry

The SOUND was heard in heaven. You can hear your neighbor across the street making a loud noise without them being in your house with you.

That is pure Freddy Franz reasoning.

It is the same mind that gave us: "Truly I tell you today, (comma) you will be with me in paradise". By placing the comma in just the right spot you can keep Jesus away from Paradise on that day.

• earthtone
    earthtone

I guess the great crowd are the 144000.

Seriously I'm sure it's in th revelation book but I don't have one. They probably say something about it being symbolic, yeah that it. Everything else will be literal and we will make this part symbolic. That sounds like just their style.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Pope,

You know I have read this scripture a hundred times and never realized it said this until I began questioning things and left the organization. it is like the blinders came off. I don't know how you would explain this to be anything other than what it is.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Earthtone,

I guess the great crowd are the 144000.

That's EXACTLY what my JW mother said when I asked her about this recently!!! Unreal isn't it! She said 144,000 is also a pretty big crowd.

Pope

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

In the Revelation Climax book they just say it is a heavenly chorus. Verse 4 prevents them from calling it the 144,000, because verse 4 specifies an answering Hallelujah from the 24 elders (i.e. 144,000) and the four living creatures.

I can't find a reference in the WT Library CD where they give a full explanation of who this "great crowd" is.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The great crowd in Revelation 19:1 are the angels.

http://jehovah.to/exe/general/greatcrowd.htm

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

More officialy explained, the term and words "great Crowd" are in and of themselves insignificant. There is a "great crowd" in Rev 19, in the gospels there is a "great crowd" that follows Jesus, there are "great crowds" at football games. Rev 19 probably has this "great crowd" being the angels as they encourage others to praise Jah. If the great crowd of Rev 7 were the GC of Rev 19, there would be no (other) people for them to encourage.

edit to add.. The "great crowd" in vs.6-8 speaks of itself as distinct from the bride (144,000).

I will dig up what Stafford wrote in defense of JW theology here in his second Edition of JWD.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    I will dig up what Stafford wrote in defense of JW theology here in his second Edition of JWD.

Why do you have to rely on something Greg Stafford said? You should be able to find sufficient material on this important verse from the "Faithful Slave".

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

DttP,

...there would be no (other) people for them to encourage.

A bit difficult to swallow, in my opinion, given that those who were encouraged immediately responded back to them (i.e. the 24 elders and the 4 living creatures).

In any event, the NWT inserts the words "you people" where it does not exist in the texts. It is not translated, it is inserted. In each case. Check your KIT.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit