No to soaps.

by Moomin 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• juni
    juni

Do any of you Brits remember the series "Good Neighbors"? Shown in the ' 70s/' 80s. It was a riot! I wish they'd bring it back.

Juni

• wonderwoman
    wonderwoman

I loved 'Good Neighbors"!!!. My aunt was a huge fan and I would sneak it at her house.

• Moomin
    Moomin

Juni, I don't remember it so I tried Googling it but all it showed was The Good Life.

I typed in 'good neighbours sitcom'

• mouthy
    mouthy

My favorite was "Some Mothers Do Have Em"with Micheal Crawford was so funny!!!

• sspo
    sspo

In one of the watchtower article, i beleive it was in the early eighties that they talked about soap opera and they had an example of a sister hooked on them, coming home early from service to watch them.

Eventually she fell into immorality because she was comparing her husband to those on the soap and how he was not as romantic and good looking, fantisize so much until she fell to adultery. What about the other 50k to 60k that also fall to immorality and other wrongdoing, WHAT ARE THEY WATCHING?

Of course at that time i used to use that example in one of my public talk.

SORRY

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    they had an example of a sister hooked on them, coming home early from service to watch them.

Eventually she fell into immorality

I wonder how Corrie was supposed to affect you? If you were a sister you had an overwhelming urge to get a job in a knicker factory and marry a turkish toy boy. If you were a brother you wanted to become a butcher I say you wanted to become a butcher with a stammer.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    In one of the watchtower article, i beleive it was in the early eighties that they talked about soap opera and they had an example of a sister hooked on them, coming home early from service to watch them.

Eventually she fell into immorality because she was comparing her husband to those on the soap and how he was not as romantic and good looking

Trust the wts to come up with a ready - made "example" every time they want to exert a bit more control over the flock.

This sounds like yet another wts fairy story.

• wednesday
    wednesday

Back in the 70's (when I was a wee child lol) Saturday night live had just come on, and it was Hot. I waited all week to watch it. It was very bad, and no jws should watch it -they said. I just kept on watching. it was not as fuuny in the 80's but picked up a bit again in the 90's. I don't bother much with it anymore, but in its heyday, it was the baddest show on tV.

I will never forget Steve martin singing that munny song. The land-shark at the ladies door saying 'watchtower" or jws, can't remember now.

Btw, what is going on on Y/R? how is Victor and Nickie/? Havent' watched in quite a while, but my mom and I watched "Days of our life" together and then got hooked on Y/R. also" Bold and Beautiful." ( I loved sally) Lots of fond memories.

jews will never make me feel bad about things like that. i didn't feel bad then, and don't feel bad now. I will not flog myself over things that don't matter a hill of beans.

Never will forget when Ghost Busters came out. what a laugh that was. the jws thought satan himself made that movie.

some of my all time favs are The Tracey ullman show. That woman is next to Carol Burnett in being funny. She is just hysterical. I have 3 seasons of "Tracey Takes on..' it is great. i missed it the first time around.

oh and I used to watch some british tv. I recall a little show 'butterflies are free' very cute.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"Little Britain"

An 18th century term - it refers to the part of early 18th cent. London where all the gays of the time "hung" out. All social classes were represented, from dukes in culottes, to young soldiers in skin tight hose.

If you want a good laugh, google "Princess Seraphina". The trial transcript is far more fun than the 1954 and Olin Moyle trials against the society.

HB

• jonno_oxford
    jonno_oxford

I remember my PO father banning us from watching soaps. Although we'd sneakily watch em anyway!

He was such a hypocrite, no to soaps for us but he religiously listened to The Archers. I always considered that a soap.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit