What is the reasoning that the seventh day of rest is 7000 years?

by jwfacts 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• under_believer
    under_believer

The Witnesses' interpretation of the first creation account in Genesis is more nonsensical than any other I've ever heard.
    They say that the account is literally true, EXCEPT for the time periods involved. Not days, but some unspecified thousands of years. This causes some very unique problems, though...
    My six year old daughter realized it was crazy all by herself: on reading the account with the understanding that the days were thousands of years, she wanted to know:
    * How could plants have survived for thousands of years without any animals to pollinate them and spread their seeds, and without any sun?
    * How could birds have survived for thousands of years without any land animals to hunt and eat?
    I think she's gonna be okay, but it does illustrate the issue. If the creative days are literal days, you could imagine the plants just hanging out for 24 hours before the sun came up, but if it was thousands of years, how could that work?

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

a little off topic but why did god need to rest in the first place?

• kirani007
    kirani007

Damn Garybuss, you just made me have a spiritual epiphany! I've been so busy looking at ages at birth that to realize that!

• kirani007
    kirani007

Damn Garybuss, you just made me have a spiritual epiphany! I've been so busy looking at ages at birth that to realize that! Oh...I forgot. Methuselah died two weeks before it started raining!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit