World Trade Center, Opinions? Was OK, but great recruitment film.

by Wasanelder Once 20 Replies latest social entertainment

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Either Dubya is a complete moron, or he is a mastermind. He can't have both orchestrated an event like this, and be a total idiot. I suspect he is somewhere in the middle.

You are an absolute MORON. To even entertain such a thing. Go down to the sewers and join the other brain dead idiots.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Funny how people like zeroday think that iraq had any connection w 9/11. Anybody who has any knowledge of the facts knows it didn't.

S

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Funny how people like zeroday think that iraq had any connection w 9/11. Anybody who has any knowledge of the facts knows it didn't.

Right, and W planned 911 didn't he. Sure he did. Go ahead, hide under your covers because he is coming for you next.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

ZERODAY-------The point of many of our conversations is questioning things and having the right to.

Calling someone a moron for their ideas is no better than calling someone a moron who questions the story of creation.

This really mirrors the automatic attack on anyone who asks questions we all are used to.

--imo

• willowmoon
    willowmoon

I saw it at one of the "courtesy" screenings for WTC survivors and families of those lost. I still have trouble with anyone, for any reason, using the 9/11 events for financial profit so would not pay to see it based on principle.

In my (albeit non-objective) opinion, the movie is a sugar coated, glamourized Hollywood exploitation of the event that is still affecting many lives and will carry severe ramifications throughout the world for many years to come.

and while I don't agree that it was necessarily a military recruitment ploy, it is another crass bid for patriotism and support of war.

Sorry all, but this movie does help prove there is more to 9/11 than the "official" story the government told you. But then, this discussion isn't about that, it's about the movie.

I didn't care for it. Hero movies just don't impress me.

willow

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    Either Dubya is a complete moron, or he is a mastermind. He can't have both orchestrated an event like this, and be a total idiot. I suspect he is somewhere in the middle.
    You are an absolute MORON. To even entertain such a thing. Go down to the sewers and join the other brain dead idiots.

I'm not sure if you're serious or or just being sarcastic. By the way that is you quoting me and then me quoting you. But just in case you are being serious, I don't believe he is a total moron or a mastermind. I'm just pointing out the problem with the far left conspiracy theorists who claim he is an idiot zealot and at the same time had something to do with flying planes into the WTC and gotten away with it. They can't have it both ways, can they? Maybe it is just me.

• zeroday
    zeroday

Maybe I'm over reacting but almost 1/3 of Americans believe there is more to it than mere terrorist that planned and attacked us on 911. Many actually believe Bush had a hand in it. It makes my blood boil.

• Satanus
    Satanus

*Watches zeroday's blood boiling. Wonders if he should hose him/her down.*

Nah.

S

• Terry
    Terry

I saw the movie yesterday morning with my16 year old son.

As Oliver Stone movies go this was at the top of the heap. It had great restraint. It wasn't manipulative and it kept the focus on humanity. (Compare this to Natural Born Killers and see the breadth of Stone's personality.)

Since there is no army or nation which attacked NY on 9/11 it follows there was no way to retaliate in force. Consequently, rage and frustration sent a lot of people into a tailspin looking for a vent for their purpose.

As is usually the case with all of us each person finds their own way of dealing with the blows life deals.

People trained to fight and kill.....fight and kill. People trained to protect and serve.....serve as best they can.

And so on. Each entity responds as it is constructed to respond. Armies seek war, diplomats seek discussion, bureaucracy creates more bureaucracy, etc.

Manmade institutions must have focus to function. A war of "terror" gives no focus to any of these normal vehicles for response. There is no "there" there to fight.

Consequently, our nation has figured out a way to exorcise itself. We find ourselves a bad place to heap opprobrium upon and the political factions start stinging each other incessantly with scorpion tails.

Without a singular bullseye target of a conventional war there is nothing but impotent flailing which can occur.

The Afghanistan and Iraq wars remind me of those wacky, waving, arm-flailing inflatable tube men you see in front of car dealerships frantically gesticulating for attention. It has the semblance of purpose, but, is really motion and hot air.

Back to the movie...

This is a good and honest movie. It could have been a recruiting film for ideology. Instead, it had heart, humanity and a constructive central messege: life only has value when you surround yourself with people you love and who care about you.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Unless I'm mistaken it is essentially a true story. Which means the footnote is the footnote. End of discussion.

As an aside, one of the rescuers/heros, a person dressed as a marine, if I got this story right, was a "mystery man" and had never been identified until after the movie. He saw a preview of the movie, and said "hey, that's us". The part that bothers me about this is that he is black, and was cast as white. Not a big deal really, but (if this is true) Oliver, why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit