Why do you have YOUR faith?

by FreedomFrog 17 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Faith is the belief in something that there is no PROOF in. Christians believe in Jesus, Pagans believe in Goddesses, Atheist believe in no God and so on.... so everyone has put their "faith" in something one way or another. Even if you have put your "faith" in you...what made you choose? Why have faith in any of it when there is no proof? And why do some need faith?

People need to have some sort of faith in some things. For example, even if you don't have faith in god you have faith somewhere else.

Faith is overrated I feel at the moment. Anything that you put your faith in whether it religioin, people or yourself, you're setting yourself up for a fall. So why do we as people put faith in so much things?

• Dune
    Dune

After its all said and done, i think people just need something to believe in. I dont think anyone wants to believe we got here by chance or that if we died tommorow the shows all over and we'd never have anything else.

My own mortality never came into question until i stopped believing in the WTBS doctrine and religion as a whole. Instead of scrambling to some other belief i think i'm somewhat of a mix of deism, nihilsm and atheism.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Without faith in a presupposition, how can you know anything?

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    Without faith in a presupposition, how can you know anything?

That's the thing... you THINK you have "knowlege". For example, we have all been taught of Pluto being in our solar system...we had "faith" in it for years. We've been taught from child on. Now Pluto is being considered a "Dwarf Planet". A planet not belonging to the solar system. That faith is shattered. For many years the KNOWLEGE of pluto being in our solar system was TRUTH...now it is not.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    People need to have some sort of faith in some things. For example, even if you don't have faith in god you have faith somewhere else.

I don't know if I agree with you. Most people need to have faith in some benevolent power outside of them, projecting a father/mother type entity to the unknown, but I don't think everyone needs to do that. Saying "you have faith somewhere else" is an easy way to qualify the irrationality of faith. I haven't come to any major conclusions other than the fact that I am not going to look down on someone for having faith and treat them like they are gullible or dumb. Some of us go through life better with faith, and vice-versa.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I haven't come to any major conclusions other than the fact that I am not going to look down on someone for having faith and treat them like they are gullible or dumb.

Neither do I. I actually envy people with faith. I guess that's why I started this thread. People have faith in people. They have faith in God or have faith that there is no God... I'm just wondering why the person believes what they believe. Why do they put "faith" in what they believe and to be so strong about it.

Isn't faith believing in something that can't be proven? People can't prove they'll be alive tomorrow but they have faith in it. Some can't prove that there isn't a god, but they believe there isn't. Other believe in a God, but still no black and white, here it is, written in stone proof.

• jstalin
    jstalin

There's a difference between blind faith and faith from reason. I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow morning because newtonian physics, combined with astro-physics, have demonstrated over and over how our planet interacts with the gigantic star in the center of our solar system. That sort of faith is from a demonstrated repitition of observable facts. Religious faith is soley a state of mind - it cannot be demonstrated or reasoned.

• xjwms
    xjwms

jstalin

Good point

I agree with you.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Yes, I agree as well. I see so many people with strong faith in God being happy and I wonder how they got to that point. At the moment I seem to have trouble believing in God but it is a catch 22 situation, I can't feel good about not believing in a God either.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I have to admit, blind faith was much more easier to deal with. If I hadn't found out the truth about the borg, I would have went along in life without feeling so shitty. Yes, of course I felt like I was in a cage, but at least that cage was comfortable with friends and family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit