Is the Watchtower Society the only one to blame?

by The wanderer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer
    Blaming the Watchtower Society

Having spent time on this discussion board
    there has been quite a number of negative
    threads concerning the Watchtower Society.

True, the Watchtower has done a tremendous
    amount of damage in various ways, but are
    they the only ones to blame?

Are We Partially to Blame?

One could make the argument that they were
    deceived by the Watchtower Society and the
    fact of the matter is that the spin doctors
    and propagandists in Brooklyn have had
    more than a century to practice their trade.

Easy to scapegoat

However, we have to look deep within our-
    selves and ask the question "why?" "Why,
    when I had the opportunity to research, in-
    vestigate, study and do a background check
    on the Watchtower Society did I not do it?"

Prior to the Internet

Obviously, prior to the internet it would have
    been a more challenging if not, a more difficult
    quest to gather the information about the Watch-
    tower Society that we have at our finger tips today.
    Thank goodness for modern technology.

Shouldering some of the responsibility

Although, this maybe true, it still does not entirely
    excuse us for allowing a corrupt corporation to totally
    and unequivocally bind us to their dogmatic doctrines.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• luna2
    luna2

For those born-in, this is more difficult as they had no choice and have been indoctrinated as impressionable little children. As for myself, who chose this life and came in as an adult....yes, I blame myself too. Much of my sarcasm toward the WTS is thinly veiled contempt directed at myself.

• moanzy
    moanzy

Yes I believe I should have started my research at about 8yrs old, but I was a little scared to be disfellowshipped and disowned by my family.

Moanzy

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Shouldering some of the responsibility

Although, this maybe true, it still does not entirely

excuse us for allowing a corrupt corporation to totally

and unequivocally bind us to their dogmatic doctrines.
    You do make some very valid points. I do feel ashamed of myself for being so narrow-minded, dogmatic, and intellectually dishonest for so many years. The truth is, I did take part in the indoctrination process for many years.

However, one important point must be made. People can't just walk away from this organization like they could the Sierra Club, or the U.S. Badminton Association. This is an organization that has destroyed people simply for disagreeing with them. There are so many people on this site who have had their lives destroyed from the shunning policies. If anybody even dares to disagree with doctrines, they can be disfellowshipped and shunned by their entire families. There are people on this site who never got to see their grandchildren again, simply because they don't believe in the 1914 doctrine.

I think we should all show a little bit of compassion and understanding for those who have lost their families and livlihoods by the totalitarian behavior of this cult; oh, eh-ehm, I mean church.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

We are only guilty of following a well thought out plan of indoctrination honed to an art over the last 100 years.

They are guilty of devising the plan and lying to maintain it. That plan involved speaking for God and therefore lying for God.

We did what we thought God wanted us to. Our primal instinct of survival was attacked. It is not a "gun to your head" but it is a gun to your eternity's head. That is more powerful than most reasoning.

There are those of us who were born to this and had no choice. (literally)

What was that scripture? You can't put a sponge in vinegar and expect to get water or something like that?

• Mary
    Mary
    "Why, when I had the opportunity to research, investigate, study and do a background check on the Watchtower Society did I not do it?"

I did. That's what got me out. Many of us on here were born and raised in this cult. We were taught this crap from infancy up, so it's all we knew. I guess I should have done more research, study and investigate the religion's past when I was 6 years old eh?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I got involved with the cult in 1983 I didn't have a computer or internet access to do research. The public library didn't have any critical information about the JWs. There were a few people who tried to talk me out of joining the cult, but they knew very little about it themselves. Their criticisms were mostly based on inaccurate information, and only served to reinforce the "persecution complex" I was developing. Even encyclopedias I checked had inaccuracies about the JWs. Still, something in my gut that I couldn't explain was telling me I was making a mistake. I wish I listened to my gut.

Now, I always do plenty of research before making major decisions, and I no longer write off my gut feelings as "irrational".

W

• luna2
    luna2
    I no longer write off my gut feelings as "irrational".

Absolutely! I used to be constantly fighting with my inner-voice. Since childhood, I've been unaccepting of my own opinions and instincts...and almost all of my worst life choices have been because I went against what I really felt, deep inside. Not any more.

• acadian
    acadian

Finally-Free said:

When I got involved with the cult in 1983 I didn't have a computer or internet access to do research. The public library didn't have any critical information about the JWs. There were a few people who tried to talk me out of joining the cult, but they knew very little about it themselves. Their criticisms were mostly based on inaccurate information, and only served to reinforce the "persecution complex" I was developing. Even encyclopedias I checked had inaccuracies about the JWs. Still, something in my gut that I couldn't explain was telling me I was making a mistake. I wish I listened to my gut.

I couldn't of said it better. (same year also) For those of us who joined as adults, the reason's for joining are varied but I think one thing most of us were looking for was a better way of life. We did eventually leave due to the research we did, or should I say when the elder's found out we were doing research we were threaten by being DF'ed. That closed the deal for me, and have never been back, and have no desire to. Acadian

• Grace
    Grace

At first I agreed somewhat with you, then I became angry at your posting for suggesting such a thing. Bravo to the people who responded that they were born into it and therefore could not research it. For those of us who came later, let's remember the slickness of the propaganda the Watchtower espouses: in their literature aimed at bringing new ones into the "fold", do they really explain the shunning process, for example? Do they say, "If you question anything at all, you will be thrown out, publicly announced as one who is not to be associated with, and shunned by people you may have known for years?"

Let's face it, they're less than forthright about many most of their affairs: the finances, the UN, sexual scandals, the "Elder" arrangement, etc. These are things that you only figure out once you're in, and many never figure them out because the real "truth" is hidden.

Grace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit