The Middle Initial..Pretentious?

by bigmouth 17 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am proud of my middle initial - it is of Scottish origin and I always use it

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

A lot of forms in the US request a person's full first name and full last name and middle initial. So for example, all my credit cards have my middle initial. When I sign documents, I put my full first name, middle initial and full last name. Again, I think it is an American thing.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

My mother liked the initials C.J. and if it had been left up to her that's what I would have been called. But when I was taken to be baptized the priest said that wouldn't cut it. So, he suggested Claude Joseph and that's the origin of my name.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I like my middle name more than my first name, which no one can pronounce. I often can only recognize my name being called because they use my middle name.(last name is common)You would not believe how much people can mangle a variation on Michelle!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I worked with someone who named his son:

J Dillman

The 'J' stood for nothing. "J" was his name. Their last name was Dillman.

-Aude.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I don't think having a middle initial is pretentious. What I think is pretentious is when people have vanity plates. That always kills me. Like the ones that say "doc" or "PIATTY" I just want to key their car!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Yep...but... notice that ALL in the GB show their middle initial and they are all uncommon sounding names.
    Can they really all get confused with someone else??
    Perhaps it is only an American custom, so why do the non-American ones follow suit?
    BTW, being a photographer I always thought Ulysses V. Glass was a cool name, y'know, UV Glass like as a lens filter!

• damselfly
    damselfly

I use both my middle names on ALL important forms. IN my (very small town) there are 3 other people with the same first, last and middle name as me. For a while I was getting very nasty calls from creditors for one of them until we figured out who it was. Not me! I pay my bills. :D

Using my middle names is a necessity.

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit