The Middle Initial..Pretentious?

by bigmouth 17 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

No, it's not a new Awake! cover.

There was a post a couple of days ago showing the GB photos and their names.
    It reminded me of a thing that's always bugged me. What's with the middle initial(s)?
    Fred W. Franz, Milton G. Henschel, Joseph F.Rutherford, Creflo A. Dollar etc., etc.
    Are their names so common they have to differentiate themselves from thousands of others?
    Or is it a 'big-noting' way to indicate power and prestige.
    If J. Lloyd Barry tried to do that over here he'd get a whack in the chops and told not to be such a pretentious w****r.
    :)

• hubert
    hubert

Well, sometimes, it really has a meaning, you know... Like.....I.P. strate.

Hubert

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

The middle initial isn't pretentious. Two middle initials are though. Just ask my son and daughter. THey both have two middle names.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think its an old person thing.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

No it's a pretentious American thing

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Is it just the U.S.? What about say Germany or Holland , we have some posters from there.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I literally need to use my middle initial on documents and forms because there are quite a few people who have the same first and last name I have.

I started using my middle initial when I went to a doctor and the nurse pulled the file for another person with the same first and last name.

• hubert
    hubert
    I started using my middle initial when I went to a doctor and the nurse pulled the file for another person with the same first and last name.

I hear ya, Elsewhere.

Imagine being in the hospital and waking up to find you had a sex change instead of your tonsils out?

Scary !!

Hubert

• parakeet
    parakeet

The middle initial is far less pretentious than a first initial, as in "J. Alfred Prufrock."

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My father and I had the same first name. I have a middle name, and he didn't. I used to be careless and didn't always use my middle initial. As a result, after my father died the government family responsibility office came after me to try to force me to pay my mother the alimony my father, obviously, could no longer pay her. They trashed my credit rating. It was a bloody nightmare. Revenue Canada also withheld my tax refund for 4 years, thinking I probably didn't need it since I was dead. I suppose it never occurred to anyone there that my estate would still be entitled to it.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit