So is America finally getting wiser? Who still believes this nonsense?

by Jourles 76 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    The consensus of the thread posters and the majority of the verbal people on this board -

we should just up and leave Iraq?

Yes or No?

No. America should stay the course and clean up the mess it's created otherwise we will have an American-created-oil-rich terrorist state.

Well done.

About the only plus point is that while America is pinned down and stretched in Iraq it is less likely to start other dumb military campaigns elsewhere.

I think I predicted when this started that America would need to end up in Iraq for 10+ years at least.

I hope the cheerleaders for the war are all happy and still willing to say how much they supported and wanted the action. I suspect some have gained a little common sense since then - enough to realise they were suckered at least.

• Simon
    Simon
    I do not think it was a huge military blunder. The military part of the war was won with reasonable dispatch.

Really? I thought your troops were still being shot at and blown up on a fairly regular basis. The body count is still going up so the military part of the war has not been won.

Just because your president doesn't like to have the news shown on his favourite news channel and your media gets bored and has the same attention span as the country doesn't mean that the battles have stopped you know!

What you have done is shown that the American military is an innefective fighting machine when it comes to having troops on the ground (where have we seen that before?!?) and you have allowed a group with fewer than 1,000 members to develop effective strategies to attack you and bring your military machine to a halt.

It's also emboldened other countries (like Iran) to basically tell you to F.off when you start making demands and issuing threats.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Do you believe that the invasion of Iraq was a huge military blunder or not?

I do not think a straight yes or no is possible. At the start it seemed to bea huge military success won very quickly. Later on during the civil war it seemed a very bad mistake. America has not got a good success rate when it comes to guerilla war and keeping the peace - it is great at shock and awe and bombing from planes

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Stilla,

Do you believe that the invasion of Iraq was a huge military blunder or not?

I do not think a straight yes or no is possible. At the start it seemed to bea huge military success won very quickly. Later on during the civil war it seemed a very bad mistake. America has not got a good success rate when it comes to guerilla war and keeping the peace - it is great at shock and awe and bombing from planes

Can we take that as a yes? It certainly sounds like a 'yes' trying hard to be a 'no'. HS

• heathen
    heathen
    America has not got a good success rate when it comes to guerilla war

I'd like to know who does . guerilla war is the most effective way to combat invader that have over welming numbers . That's how the US finally kicked the brits out , going head to head was not working at all . Osama Bin Laden successfully beat the comunist Russian troups using it . It's hard to shoot an enemy you can't see and knows the territory better than the invading army . I don't think it matters what the US does right now , in the end they will be run out , If the insurgents get at the oil fields there will no longer be a reason to stay anyway . The US military is not supposed to play the role of occupier but is supposed to preserve and protect the Republic of the US . This talk of a democracy in Iraq is a load of bunk .

• JimWood
    JimWood

Don't you all know that only the WTS and the UN can bring peace

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB
    I hope the cheerleaders for the war are all happy and still willing to say how much they supported and wanted the action. I suspect some have gained a little common sense since then - enough to realise they were suckered at least.

We'll never know seeing as how you deleted them all.

• Simon
    Simon
    We'll never know seeing as how you deleted them all.

Spoken like a true Englishman

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Most Americans that I've spoken to do not agree with George Dubya's 'War on Terror'. Funny how you can lie to 250,000,000 about WMD, be responsible for thousands of deaths and put the country into debt to the tune of over a trillion dollars and you're not impeached. I guess that's because Georige Boy didn't commit the unforgivable sin and have a 21 year old on her knees in the Oval Office when he was implementing the plans for invasion.

oohhhh Mary...touche'....sammieswife..

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    The real *problem* is that the American people refuse to coinsider CONSERVING energy and doing with less fuel like every other major western country can and has. This then dictates their foreign policy which is to trade peace for oil.

Simon, I don't know if this is really an accurate statement but it may certainly qualify for a general one.

It isn't the American people who refuse to consider, its the government who are run by corporations who realize their billions of dollars in profit might be reduced if they allow the oil consumption to drop. One of the last reports I read, gave a clear indicator that the US has enough coal of its own that can be converted into clean diesel fuel to last the next 500 years. Instead of spending three trillion dollars on a war for oil, they could have spent the money on getting those systems up and running and been non oil dependent in short order. They opt not too. With the amount of money corporations save(d) by moving head quarters off shore to avoid paying taxes, there could have been enough windmill farms installed that would generate electricity for dozens of cities.

Many, not all, do want the oil dependency reduced but how? The transportation systems are a mess - there is not the same level of public transportation in the US that you see in England, Germany or most other countries and that's simply because of the geography. Most people outside the cities need cars in order to make a living - they can't live in the cities because they don't make enough money, so they move to the outskirts which then forces them to drive longer to retain their employment.

If the US decided tomorrow they were going to fire up the coal mines and use their own resources, the price of oil around the world would plummet and at that point, I could see the government easing up on their new plan because oil is cheap again and so the circle goes around and around. By the way, I heard yesterday on some show or other, that the US actually only uses 20% of their consumption of oil for transportation - I didn't hear what the other 80% is used for. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit