Interesting and ironic aspect of JW doctrine.

by MinisterAmos 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I was reading the "news" on Fark.com and one of the topics that came up was how some Fundamentalists are refusing rabies treatment for their children based on some supposed scripture. I suspect it was the same "old light" that the WT used to forbid true christians (meaning JW's) from being vaccinated.

The conversation turned to weird religious beliefs used to make children suffer and their parents to appear more "spiritual" as a result of that suffering (a weird kind of Munchausen's complex if you ask me). In the process up pop the Dubs and blood transfusions.

An observation was that the martyred children are often placed on the cover of the WT literature or have articles written describing their spiritual strength; in other words certain people who have followed the rules are hilighted as being particularly "special" in some way.

Just to make sure, I called up my book study reader who has about 50 years of serving the WT and asked him "why don't JW's celebrate Mother's Day again?"

Because it would be a idolatry to place one person before another was the answer from the 50 year inside Pioneer/Elder

But it's OK to idolize dead children by putting them on the cover of the mag I guess? Any logical thoughts on this out there? I will NOT accept "putting a person's picture on the cover of the most widely published magazine in the world does not mean we are idolizing him/her" as I'm sure the apologists will try to assert

• badboy
    badboy

I didn't think of that one!

IDOLIZING

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I never thought about that much when I was a jw, I just tried to get people to take the mags, but I suppose graphic pics are designed to attract attention, something to focus the householders interest on.

• undercover
    undercover
    "why don't JW's celebrate Mother's Day..."

Because it would be a idolatry to place one person before another was the answer from the 50 year inside Pioneer/Elder

But it's OK to idolize dead children by putting them on the cover of the mag...

That's a pretty darn good point...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

The special "Dead Kids" issue of the WT is different in that it is the only? or one of the few that refers to specific real people that JW's are askied to follow and imitate.

I'd say that covers at least one definition of "idolize"

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

What a bunch of bs.

Maybe their answer would be we aren't idolzing one person because there are several

photos on the cover.

graduation parties, anniversary parties = idolatry??

• garybuss
    garybuss

Dec 8, 1984

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Idolatry was always explained to me as the putting of any thing (or one) as an object of veneration in the place of Jehovah God. These children on the magazine cover are being acknowledged and not venerated. I think its a bit of a reach to say its idolatry. Of course they were slaughtered for nothing, but that doesn't make them objects of worship because they are held out as examples to the other lemmings. In Hebrews Paul lists individuals who were faithful and no one accuses him of idolatry. Its a tragedy is what it is, not idolatry.

Yes, reverent adoration should be expressed only to God. To render worship to anyone or anything else would be a form of idolatry, which is condemned in both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures.—Exodus 20:4, 5; Galatians 5:19, 20.*** g00 4/8 p. 26 Is It Proper to Worship Jesus? ***

In the long run I don't give a flying fig what the Awake has on its cover. Its fishwrap as far as I'm concerned.

W.Once

• Shining One
    Shining One

Minister Amos,
    If you really wanna get them on that question and answer ask them, "why is it not idolatry to put THE WATCHTOWER before God?" Then hold on and don't let them weasel out of a direct answer. Make them squirm.
    Rex

• LDH
    LDH

Gary buss you should be taken out and shot. I just threw up coffee in my mouth from laughing at that damn picture. To think I hauled that around from door to door. Hilarious!

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit