August 22, 2006 - Likely the end of the world according to Muslims.

by Elsewhere 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=c55608db5b5834c2316826ebb719cb6c&threadid=252956

alt

We now have a date for Armageddon August 22, 2006.

A top expert on the Mideast says it is possible Iran could pick Aug. 22, 2006 the anniversary of one of Islam's holiest events, for a cataclysm Shiite Muslims believe will forever resolve the battle between "good" and "evil."

Princeton's Bernard Lewis has written an opinion piece in the Wall Street Journal advising that the rest of the world would be wise to bear in mind that for those who believe the end of the world is imminent and good, there is no deterrent even to nuclear warfare.

"In Islam, as in Judaism and Christianity," the professor writes, "there are certain beliefs concerning the cosmic struggle at the end of time - Gog and Magog, anti-Christ, Armageddon, and for Shiite Muslims, the long-awaited return of the Hidden Imam, ending in the final victory of the forces of good over evil, however these may be defined.

"Mr Ahmadinejad [the Iranian president] and his followers clearly believe that this time is now, and that the terminal struggle has already begun and is indeed well advanced. It may even have a date, indicated by several references by the Iranian president to giving his final answer to the US about nuclear development by August 22. This was at first reported as 'by the end of August', but Mr Ahmadinejad's statement was more precise."

Lewis continues: "What is the significance of August 22? This year, August 22 corresponds, in the Islamic calendar, to the 27th day of the month of Rajab of the year 1427. This, by tradition, is the night when many Muslims commemorate the night flight of the prophet Muhammad on the winged horse Buraq, first to 'the farthest mosque', usually identified with Jerusalem, and then to heaven and back (cf, Koran XVII.1). This might well be deemed an appropriate date for the apocalyptic ending of Israel and, if necessary, of the world."

Ahmadinejad is urging Iranians to prepare for the coming of the Mahdi by turning the country into a mighty and advanced Islamic society and by avoiding the corruption and excesses of the West. All Iran is buzzing about the Mahdi, the 12th imam and the role Iran and Ahmadinejad are playing in his anticipated return. There's a new messiah hotline. There are news agencies especially devoted to the latest developments.

foxnews.com/story

Ahmadinejad raises concerns with mystical visions

Does Iran have something in store?

Ahmadinejad: Wipe Israel off map

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Knowing that there's a wack-job who runs Iran, I wouldn't put it past him to "hasten" the "end"..... when I heard about it a few weeks ago, I made a mental note to remember the date...then I quickly forgot about it until I was writing a check today with the date. I'll be glad when it turns midnight in Iran tomorrow night..... (don't you know that Israel and the U.S. are probably secretly on highten alert with missles pointed towards Tehran even as we type).

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I'd guess the local library won't be too concerned about the books I borrowed then....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I remember the joke doing the rounds in early 1980. "Would you like to meet your maker -vote for Ronald Reagan

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Winamp forums? Is that where you get all your insights? ;)

• carla
    carla

The end already? Good, so many chores unfinished I won't have to deal with. Hope I'm damn smack in the middle of it, no dilly dallying around waiting for radiation sickness or anything. Hey! no taxes this year either! What a relief!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I think its already August 22 in the UK, any of our UK friends here? tell us still stuck in August 21, did the world end??

• carla
    carla

Andre,

Obviously they can't answer. I'm sure the end of the world will continue with time zones, you silly.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Carla, you are so wise in the ways of science. Thank you for setting me straight

• Arthur
    Arthur

Iran only has conventional missiles that can reach Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. Iran knows that a conventional missile attack would do minimal damage, and would result in massive bombings by the Israelis. That would mean bye-bye to Iran's nuclear program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit