My brother has many problems

by Butterfly32 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Butterfly32
    Butterfly32

Can someone help me!!!

My brother and I were raised as JW, were both adults now and non believers. My brother has many problems, he has no identity of himself, he is on drugs, he has no plans for his future, no plans for higher education, he never expresses himself, he doesn’t show his true feelings.

I feel that he is a victim of being in a JW cult. I have talked to him about reaching out for help, but my brother tells me that being raise as a JW never bother him and that its not affecting his life now. I don’t think that he would have all these problems if that were true. How can I help him in the recovery process.

Thanks for any help

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does he admit to having any problems at all? Does he know he's depressed? I think he'd benefit from a regular counsellor regardless.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I think he'd benefit from a regular counsellor

THAT would be my primary consideration!

There are numerous people who will give you sound, loving advice here but very few of us are experienced counsellors, which is definitely what your brother needs right now.

Best wishes,

Ian

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Butterfly 32, and welcome to the forum.

I am saddened to read of your brother's problems. He is yet another victim of the wts and their dictatorial ways.

I am in agreement with the other posters in that I too feel that a professional counsellor is what your brother needs right now.

I wish you both well

love

Linda

• done4good
    done4good

In this situation professional help is a must. But encourage him to look into the falsehoods of the organization. This will at least aid him in his recovery, as he will begin to see that he is not failure, and the problem does not originate with himself, but the organization.

j

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI butterfly,

You don't say how old your brother is, but it takes some people longer to know what they want to do with their lives.

• Butterfly32
    Butterfly32

Thanks for the support....I left in 1990 at 16 years old , My brother got out in 1992 at age 14. We both were runaways and had to take care of ourselves on the streets. Its been 14 years since he has been with the JW and he hasn't moved on with his life, I don't think he knows how. I just wish I had the magic words so he would understand that he needs to get some help.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Your brother has a bunch of problems whether he knows it or not. Most people with big problems don't think they have one until it hits them in the face. I'm speaking from personal experience because I finally went into to treatment a year ago to deal with my alcoholism, and I 'm currently being evaluated to see if I'm bipolar. I don't know if either of those things has anything to do with being a JW. If your brother ran away from home at 14 and now has a drug/alcohol problem he needs counseling.

I'm sending you a PM with some more info.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I agree that counseling would be a very big help for him!! Although my brother has not struggled with drugs, he has alot of the same issues you mentioned, as a result of the cult. It is, at times, frustrating, because you can see where the issues arise from and they won't. But keep trying and keep helping!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit