Looking for a new laptop, any one own a tablet?

by thecarpenter 15 Replies latest jw friends

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I'm in the market for a new laptop and the convertable tablet has caught my eye. Gateway recently came out with a 14" widescreen laptop/tablet that is a stunner. Anyone have or uses a tablet pc and what do you think of it?

• KW13
    KW13

well i have a laptop, i know its not a tablet but i can say the mobility is great and has its uses.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I think the tablet would be neat, but I don't know what practical use I'd need it for. I just love my Dell. It's about a year old. I've never had any trouble at all (unlike my series of desktop Compaq's) and I really like the portability.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I bought a new Dell Inspiron 8500 in June 2003. I bought the 3 year in home warranty. Dell replaced the motherboard 3 times and both memory chips under warranty. I asked them to fix the reason the computer kept breaking and they said if it breaks again we'll send you a different one.
    I said okay . . . and a month after the warranty expired the 4th motherboard and one memory chip failed. I called Dell and the guy laughed so hard I think he had a laugh/choke fit when I told him the story. Basically he told me tough shit.
    I dug my 8 year old Gateway laptop out of the closet and that's now my computer again.
    My experience with Dell has been BAD! I liked the computer when it ran but it kept breaking. In the end it was a 3 year throw away.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The Gateway is a winner; I have had it for months, no problems at all.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

thanks for the responses, i needed the tablet for it's note taking capability. I sort of view it as the next progression of computers as soon as the prices come down. I've owned several laptops already and haven't had any major problems with them. Sorry to hear about your problems Gary, I hope your next laptop doesn't give you trouble.

• ackack
    ackack

Dell's are generally pretty poor build quality. Unfortunately, tablets are not really ready yet. Its a great idea, but technology has not really caught up with what would be needed from a decent tablet. Things like, lightweight, visible in sunlight, reasonable battery life, good note taking capabilities and a high-density screen seem like pretty minimal requirements to me. I did some dev work on a tablet (for an amex survey). While it was novel and interesting, I can't see it being very useful as a computer I would use regularly.

For taking notes, I would tend toward note paper at this point. But then again, I can type reasonably fast, and I really wanted to take notes, I would get a small nice laptop for doing so. Personally, being a mac fanboy, I would get a MacBook. Nice decent light computer. The video camera is a nice bonus.

On a side note, isn't it bizarre how people don't use laptops for taking assembly notes? (at least, no one in the audience does.. the bros downstairs do though). If I was really serious about taking notes at an assembly, I would absolutely use a laptop to do this effectively. Always bothered me that pulling out a laptop would be viewed as "stumbling" via materialism... so short sighted. Oh well.

ackack

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I used one at work for a while. It was quite liberating at times but after a while got on my nerves. For my personal use I have a Samsung X20 which is excellent, combined with my PDA (much better option IMO)

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Keep this thread going i want to learn more

• sspo
    sspo

HP pavillion, had it for over 3 years, had to replace hard drive once but overall i have been happy with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit